Just 4 Red Coils

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tatter

Has anyone run just 4 red coils (1 per corner)? I was bored last night and I had to refill some shocks anyway, so I got to messing around and did a single red coil on each corner just to see what it would do. What I got was a slammed almost truggy-like stance. But it appears to me if I were to run it this way it would most likely bottom out. Anyone actually run a savage this way before? How did it work out?
Like I said, I'm just doing this screwing around (my motor's out and I have to order some parts so I can't actually run it right now), but I'm kinda curious.
I kinda wanna get 4 more reds just to see if it'll handle better or worse (4 is all they had in stock). Currently I've been running a set of 8 purple/black (they're the same), but the truck is just too tipsy. I need to try something else. I'm running 40wt oil if anyone is wondering.
Anyone got a comment?

I have run 2 gray in the rear and 2 red in the front. It worked nice for racing ,except for having to use 3 preload spacers to keep the rear end up. I was still running all 8 shocks though, 35 wt. in the out sides and 25 wt. on the insides.

I have tried alot of these setups on my street savy

works just fine for street but, as you said off road it would have clearance issues.

ya on my savage x i bottomed out with just taking the preload spacers out, it looked awsome almost like a truggy as was said before but way to soft so i imagine the setup your talking about would be really low!!!

I'll try and get pics later tonight.

I does sit pretty low. I think the shocks would be too soft for such a low ride. You might wanna add a couple more spacers or put stiffer springs on, if your only goona be runnin on the road.

heres what you do to limmit shock hieght that then creates a lowered suspension with the bennifits of stock shocks...

disassemble shocks again, put 1.5" length (you can go smaller...1.0"....5" to adjust to your likeing) of fuel tube on shock shaft and reassemble..this will give you dogbone parallel to ground...truggy stance without loss of dampening. You can run your preload clips too if you think it is needed and I ran 45wt shock oil all around, even tried 60wt--worked pretty good.
I ran this for awhile with one red spring and one black spring on each arm. hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you put only like one or two preloaders, do you think this would be good for oval? just making sure, those are stock parts (shock towers, shocks) right? hpi savage 25 told me to run 4, but with it this low, i think it would handle better.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back