jcam54's savage 25 rebirth...caution detailed pics...need dsl or better

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcam54

First off this is what I started with...

cfbuildphotos001.jpg

The list...

RB mod STS d30m
STS matched tuned pipe
Nova clutch shoes
HPI 3spd
FLM ext lcg tvps....#FLM45100
FLM skid plate....#FLM45110
FLM servo plate....#FLM45500
FLM servo mounts....#FLM46000
Hellfire fuel tank....#HPI8705
Hellfire fuel line accessories....#HPI85511
Antenna tube mount (racers edge blue)....#RCE1003B
Nitro rush battery box....#A349
RPM reciever box....#RPM80052
Custom battery hold down and location (local lhs owners race savage tip)
Custom th linkage (local lhs owner race savage tip)
(ofna slider kit...#10704, ofna linkage kit...#10724 and traxxass linkage set...#5368)
HPI suspension conversion....#HPI87245
HPI 17mm hex conversion set....#HPI87229
Upgrade to x ss alum diffs and gears with 20k
front and 10k rear
New servos...Hitech HS-5645mg th, and HS-5955TG st with alum. servo horns
3/8" heat shrink tube
1/4" heat shrink tube
LST2 aluminum shocks
New Era Models LST2 shock mount kit....#HSV402V2
Pro-Line MGT Desert Rat body

After complete tear down and clean I started with the diffs...(thanks parkermarsh for the help with the shimming) and assembly of the front and rear diff/shock assemblies.

midtankbuildpics002.jpg

Here is a close up of the New Era kit, front suspension conversion, and 17mm hex conversion installed.

Right
midtankbuildpics004.jpg

Left
midtankbuildpics003.jpg

The rear with suspension conversion, shocks/New Era mount kit, 17mm hex conversion and one tvp installed. (note the shocks are now mounted on the rear of the a-arm...thanks for the advice Bankrupter...you'll see correction in later picks).

midtankbuildpics005.jpg

Close up.

midtankbuildpics006.jpg

Installed 3spd tranny.

midtankbuildpics007.jpg

Installed front and rear assemblies and trans with dog bones and one tvp.

midtankbuildpics009.jpg

midtankbuildpics010.jpg

This was how I was going to run the firestorm battery box but decided to change it up to a custom location and mount recomended by my local lhs owner...he runs it this way race savage...you'll see in a few (I gotta keep the suspense going!!! LOL!!). ALL you 25 owners can run it like this in the picture...all you need to do is mark the cross brace (infront of diff assembly) for the screw holes and drill, then mount with small fine thread screws and back them with 2 m2 lock nuts (one behind the brace and one run up on the screw---sandwiches the battery box and cross brace). This is sturdy and clears the grill/bumper nicely!

midtankbuildpics014.jpg

Close up of mount/screws.

midtankbuildpics013.jpg

Now for the mid tank...

I installed the FLM servo plate and set up the hellfire tank and st. servo.

midtankbuildpics006-1.jpg

midtankbuildpics009-1.jpg

midtankbuildpics010-1.jpg

midtankbuildpics011-1.jpg

midtankbuildpics012-1.jpg

Next onto the RPM reciever box.

I shaved off the mounting tabs on the rear of the box to make it sit flush against the tvps and fliped the box to keep the opening for the wires on top and less likely to collect dirt and water/mud.

midtankbuildpics014-1.jpg

midtankbuildpics016.jpg

midtankbuildpics019.jpg

midtankbuildpics020.jpg

Well this build is still in the process of so I will update and complete it when I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
when breaking in that engine first crack the glow plug. I also have the original head for that STS for ya. Dropped a pretty coin on this setup. Looks real cool. Good luck with the rest of the build.

Great stuff on this thread .. keep it up bud

Thanks all!!!
This thing is gonna get well used during some bash sessions....aint scared here...it's what their built for...lol!

Thanks ]-[op we'll have to hook up soon.

Thanks all!!!
This thing is gonna get well used during some bash sessions....aint scared here...it's what their built for...lol!

Thanks ]-[op we'll have to hook up soon.

I wish everyone had your attitude ! Imagine all the carnage

Update...I also updated the parts list with part numbers to most of the upgrades.

Now it's on to the throttle linkage, I took this set up from my lhs owners race savage...I used the stock linkage arm and add sliders from ofna, parts of the ofna linkage kit and a rod from a traxxass kit (yeah I know it's traxxass but it worked out great).

midtankbuildpics001-1.jpg

midtankbuildpics002-1.jpg

midtankbuildpics003-2.jpg

I relocated the battery hump pack to the rear bumper (did not like how most of the weight was in the front with the hpi rush battery box setup). I used some zip-ties to secure it to the bumper/skid. I also used 3/8" and 1/4" heat shrink tube to cover/protect the servo and battery wires from dirt and water.

midtankbuildpics004-2.jpg

midtankbuildpics005-2.jpg

midtankbuildpics006-2.jpg

midtankbuildpics007-2.jpg

midtankbuildpics008-2.jpg

midtankbuildpics009-2.jpg

I ran the fuel lines useing the hellfire fuel line accessory pack which comes with a clip/mount for a fuel filter and several clip spacers to organize your lines. I mounted the fuel filter inside of the tvp to keep it away from the exhaust.

midtankbuildpics011-2.jpg

(I am going to run my axial 28 with a buku pipe for now untill I breakin the sts d30m)
midtankbuildpics012-2.jpg

Well here it is....almost done, still thinking about reworking some things though and I still need to finish up the body....

midtankbuildpics013-2.jpg

midtankbuildpics014-2.jpg

midtankbuildpics015-1.jpg

Those are maximizer 17mm truggy beadlocks with hpi dirt bonz tires, if you were wondering.

Looks killer! Nice clean job. I like the fuel line routing too.
But I am surprised that you haven't upgraded the engine plate....yet??

Well I haven't broken it yet so untill I do it stays, but the FLM plate looks pretty slick so vanity may win on this one!! Besides it will give me an excuse to tear it apart again and tinker with the setup again....addiction awareness is the first step...lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
i was thinking about mounting the battery box behind the engine in front of the shock tower on mine. burt with all the flex the plastic shocktowers have, i figured that wasnt a good idea...yet! I'm working on a bracket to brace it to the tvp's so i can mount the box on top if that.

That truck is AWESOME! I got some trigger time on it today and can't wait to really get out and tear it up. It survived me so far but I'll try to step it up next time. LOL. Your camera man is a great guy. wink, wink.

That is one wicked truck man, very nice job.
I am curios, in the last pics with the body on, is that a fuel filler tube sticking out of the windshield? And if so, how does that setup work?

yep sure is...2 zip ties and a piece of fuel tube.
Cut the block end of one of the zip ties, then feed the other zip tie threw the fuel cap slot with the block on the under side of the lid, then slide fuel tube over zip tie (this will be tight so take your time and it will adventually slide down on it), finally run the block that you cut off the first zip tie and trim the excess and boom bada bing one heck of a cheap pull strap for your tank lid!

man thats loking nice, and glad your not afraid to give it a thrashing lol

Well I finally broke down and bought a engine plate...just got the Hardcore Racing ti plate and will install it soon with picks. Let me tell you guys this plate is pretty stout, it has no flex at all unlike the stock plate. Since I'm gonna be in there so I might as well set up the rb sts d30m and nova clutch shoes and break it in after it's all together. Pics to come soon and a update also.

Hey bud, a guy was gonna give me one of those plates but never did. He told me he had to trim the back of the plate to clear the dog bone off the tranny. Make sure and check your clearance there.

no offense, but those yellow rims look really weird on that truck.

:) lol Same here Jcam, no offense. But all you are missing is some red and maybe some more green, and you will have the whole rainbow on that truck! lol

Its nice truck as far as functionality goes. But there is no color coordination on it at all. lol

But nice thread and good pics.

Whats up with everyone knocking on the rims? LOL! To each their own!
Really I have a yellow wing I'm gonna mount on the truck as soon as my custom mount is finished, so it will bring it together more.
Guess I'm gonna have to do another body to get it to match for all yall to enjoy or hate! LOL!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back