JATO Eater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JroCc

Sup fellas....Ok so i've had my Savy X RTR for about a week or two now and I'm ready to add another family member. I was at an event over the weekend sponsored by my LHS and they were racing like a 1/4 mile but not an entire 1/4 mile. The guys with the jatos thought they were really cool..bla bla bla..although I may not be able to race the same class...should I do another savy hopp'd up for 1/4 mile or maybe the Hellfire...or something totally different than HPi.. I def want a truck.. I just want to smoke a jato..from what I saw they were modded slightly..LOL

Any thoughts?

Your going to have a hard time smoking a jato with a truck as they are light and fast expecially with the 3.3.

I guess it may be possable. Your best bet would be to take a savage get a 3 speed with the high speed 3rd gear set and a LRP thats ported polished and the whole 9 Yards with the BUKU pipe and medium sized narrow tires that are light. Your going to need a vary light truck meaning taking as much off as possable and lightening it as much as possable with gearing like 21-22/47, you are also going to need a extended chassis and lower the truck as much as possable.

My Bro has a Jato 3.3 and it easily does 65MPH.

Thats what I was thinking....but I may have to join them and just make a faster JATO...LOL I saw JATO's on youtube clocked at 71mph... I was looking at the Hellfire and that thing flies but its only one speed.... I'd like to bring HPI to the table on this one..but I may have to start with a JATO base and mod it out.... hmmmmmmmmm I'll keep looking first though... LOL

Thanks Bro...

How about a Nitro Firestorm or the E-Firestorm with brushless, maybe even a MT2 G3.0.

I guess it could....you thinkinn Losi? The only problem with the Losi electric truck is they advertise it goes 65 plus...but you have to buy the high end LiPo Pack..charger..etc etc...if you're thinkinn Losi. I researched that angle too... Although I'd like to stay nitro I think.

If I calc the distance of the drag track they use...the gear on the hellfire and find out the options there for a bigger gear or 2spd option if available...it may have enough power to take the jato given the distance we are going...long distances the hellfire would get beat...but if i can use the power band in the hellfire and the distance of the track to my advantage..get the jato before or right as it is shifting into second...it would be a good race....at least thats my opinion..and this is just based off of what I seen on you tube..i haven't seen a Hellfire run yet....

I've been doing a LOT of research lately on 1/18th's. I've talked to some local guys who run the 18's and I've learned a bunch. One guy showed me his little Losi mini-T? Anyways, it has the Mamba 25 Electronic speed control and a brushless 8000Kv motor. He's got a ton of custom carbon fiber parts on it and the thing couldn't weigh three pounds with the battery. He runs a 2100mAh 3 cell LiPo, and that thing just cooks. He said it will easily do 70mph, but getting it there without flipping is difficult. If you're allowed to run mini's, I think it'd be awesome to watch a little mini car pass a jato :D Just my thought..

Now taking a savage and making it faster, that's gonna take a good bit of work. First drop the suspension, get the LRP Spec 3 .28 motor, mod it, buku pipe.. Carbon fiber everywhere, light tires, titanium linkages.. I mean, you'd have to deck it out with super light weight parts, then drop a 3 speed in it with gearing something like larsen said, 21-22 (bit it'd take some modifying as well).

Larsen here knows ALL about light weight savages. He'll point you in the right direction if you're seriously thinking about the idea. One thing I'd certainly do, is put a set of RC10/XXX-nt size shocks on it. I bolted my RC10 shocks to my savage to see how low it'd go, and it's low as, if not lower than a Jato. I think it would be quite cool to watch a savvy take down a Jato! Good luck man!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks AoD...I'm making a list now and going to start running the numbers...i'm looking at the Firestorm as well...I think this may be the way I have to go...they may race class for class....I can't run a 1:8th Savy against the 1:10th Jatos/Revos in competition.....I'll have to verify that first off....and yes...it would be way cool to see a savy come rollinn by a JATO...although I could just race mine and "accidentially" make a hard right turn as the JATO pulls away from me and just BASHHH it....LOL....now that would be fun to see...

I have a E Firstorm and they are a tough truck any version (E, nitro or Flux) and handle very well. With a nice Mamba system, LiPo and some carbon from Platinum RC Products (larsenracing) to lighten it you could smoke the Jato.
Here is a pic of mine in mid overhaul.....
9untog.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Schumacher Menace 21. I have one and i own a Jato too. The Menace is just about the equlivant of the jato (for speed). The menace is 4 wheel. I like it better than the jato. Better handling, and its a 3-speed. AWESOME truck!!

I knew a guy who transformed his NTC3 into a dirt oval racer, it had the three speed kit in it. It was wicked fast, but.. I don't think I'd want to watch my $900+ go flying into a wall at 60mph.

I used to go down to wintersville, a town about a half hour south of me, to watch dirt oval races with RC's. It wasn't a LHS track, just a place that a cool guy let people run their cars on his property. I ran my RC's down there a few times. The fastest at the time was the HPI 4 wheel drive stadium truck looking thing. I can't remember the name of it, it was 2002-2003. But, the point is, that NTC3 was unbeatable down there. I don't think you'd be willing to push that much money into making a "build it yourself" car. He told me he started with the kit, and made a chassis from plastic. He didn't do a bad job either. Quite a bit different then original, and I think he did a pretty good job. He also had a T-Maxx that was pretty slick too. He had one of the first .21 conversions out at the time.

I hope you find something that smokes a Jato. I'm hoping to get my trinity mini-truggy to speed so I can beat my friends Revo when he gets a motor :)

My Jato is pretty modified (carbon fiber chassis, drilled out stinger, etc.) and still it has a hard time keeping up with my Shumacher Menace 4x4x21. Which is totally stock. When the Menace hits third gear.... its bye-bye Jato!!

Yeah we def have to start putting things together that will smoke these Jatos/Revos...these guys are wayyyyy to cocky at the track for simply swiping a credit card and pulling it out of the box going 65 plus...i gottaa smoke one of these things...I'm looking into several options at the moment but i'd like to stay HPi....ya know..

SOLLDDDDDD LOOOOL I love it!!!!! Do you have any videos mollyjo?

My Jato is pretty modified (carbon fiber chassis, drilled out stinger, etc.) and still it has a hard time keeping up with my Shumacher Menace 4x4x21. Which is totally stock. When the Menace hits third gear.... its bye-bye Jato!!

RB mods claims to have the Jatos running in the 80's with his $220 complete mod. I have seen some with Modded os.18's that are probably in the high 70's .
Why are you so hung up on beating a Jato? Its a cool truck. Cheap and Fast. Just get one. Thats what I did.

I have always like the Menace also. They are really wicked if you ditch that thunder tiger.21 and get a real .21. Picco....

I saw an Ad for one a few months back in car action...I think thats were it was...but I didn't pay it no mind as i was and still am very new to this...but the video looks about right from what i've seen the JATOs run on youtube and in person...boys...i think we may have a match and its a 1:10 SO there will be no class issues when competing....

Why are you so hung up on beating a Jato? Its a cool truck. Cheap and Fast. Just get one. Thats what I did.

Its not really the truck i dislike...its more a few guys at my local drag track that think they actually accomplished something by jumping on the band wagon and buying something that is really fast right out of the box. I guess you had to be there.

I was going to get one as their wasn't much out there to beat the JATO...but I like to be different and not do what everyone else does. no pun or offense tended...I just want to do something different.... LOL

I hear ya. I think your best bet nitro wise would be the Menace. Drop a modded picco in and you should have no problem beating most of them. The fact is theres always a crowd like that. We have them here too. So I guess I have been there in a way. The thing is your letting those idiots ruin your fun. Ignore them and get what makes YOU happy. The he.. with everyone else.

My Jato is stock. Fast enough for me right now. When those guys tell me how theirs would spank mine, I just show them the rest of my collection. Ya, you have the faster Jato. I'm spending money on 6 r/cs and still growing.

Oh I hear you grump...and they're not ruining my fun by any means...researching a new different ride..that will smoke them...watching their faces when i go by...and them trying to process what exactly it is I have cuz I did my homework...priceeeelesssss....plus I really do want a fast truck to grow my family with...I just picked up a Savage X rTr and love it...so i'm killing two birds with one stone...so to speak.

Cool. Now the only problem your going to have is when you beat these guys, theyre all going to run out and get whatever you have lol. Good luck, keep us posted.

LoL Yeah, the jato and revo's are fast. But a lot of the local owners around here brag just too much about their trucks. I don't care for them, I'd rather see a modified rig blow them away. Someone who has real talent for the sport can beat them with modification, rather then buying the same truck. Each truck has a potential to be modified for extreme speed, toughness, acceleration, wheelies, and anything else you want to do with it. Taking the time, and making the right decisions is how it's done. :)

I have had no problems with mine. Pretty tough little truck! Only problem is they are hard to get parts for.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back