Issue with reverse linkage and lever

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InTheZone

edit: finally took the time and fixed my issue. Screw the manual, that made things worse.

-I angled the section at the end of the link with the eyelet towards the front. The servo now has to do less work for the same results

-Instead of having the collars spaced 26mm end-to-end at the very end of the link I brought them in to the first bend and kept the same 26mm end-to-end length.

-With the truck upside down I took a flathead screwdriver and pushed down on the tip of the skinny portion of the reverse lever, bending the the skinny tab that grabs the link when engaging forward. With the servo end points set there is no way for the lever to just pop free and float over the link.

-And I also had to bend the section over the driveshaft to make it more narrow. It almost rubs the drive cup, but it allows the link to sit better inside the lever.

Stripping the reverse gear may happen at some point, but at least I know it won't be because of a loose linkage that might've cause the gears to come out while driving.

original post:
I've had an issue where my reverse linkage pops out from the lever way too easily, mainly when going into reverse, whether moving by hand or by remote.

I've gone through the original manual and made corrections to my setup to match what it says to do. Collar to collar length is 26mm, link is oriented in the correct way, I even installed the plastic servo horn instead of using my aluminum horn.

With the plastic horn it will physically not reach to be able to push the link in enough to engage forward. This is probably why I used a longer aluminum horn. I can rotate the servo as much as I need but it's simply too short. Just wondering how anyone got reverse to work with the tiny plastic horn to begin with is a feat in itself.

I would like to think this issue may be the root problem to the link being able to easily fall out if the reverse lever. I also hate how loose the lever sits when in the reverse position.

Also take a look at the manual, page 18. It shows the vertical link (the one that attaches to the reverse module lever) has a bend before the eyelet. Mine does not bend out like that. My reverse lever link is perfectly flat when I lay it down

Attachments

• 20190510_224908[1].jpg
    20190510_224908[1].jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I always hated reverse in Nitro vehicles, they always act up and need fiddling with.... my solution to no reverse is to not get into a situation where it is necessary and I bring my kids along so they can get me out of a jam :)

I always hated reverse in Nitro vehicles, they always act up and need fiddling with.... my solution to no reverse is to not get into a situation where it is necessary and I bring my kids along so they can get me out of a jam :)
I haven't needed it since I got back into this, but I would like to have it functional since it's there. One thing I did notice was different in my setup is that the eyelet that sits between the fuel tubing is straight. In the manual it shows the eyelet has a slight twist to it. If that doesn't make sense think of it like my setup uses a flat washer where the manual shows a crush washer, part of the eyelet sticks out.

I just wish there was a way to secure the link to the lever so that the angled part the lever catches doesn't fall out.

edit: finally took the time and fixed my issue. Screw the manual, that made things worse.

-I angled the section at the end of the link with the eyelet towards the front. The servo now has to do less work for the same results

-Instead of having the collars spaced 26mm end-to-end at the very end of the link I brought them in to the first bend and kept the same 26mm end-to-end length.

-With the truck upside down I took a flathead screwdriver and pushed down on the tip of the skinny portion of the reverse lever, bending the the skinny tab that grabs the link when engaging forward. With the servo end points set there is no way for the lever to just pop free and float over the link.

-And I also had to bend the section over the driveshaft to make it more narrow. It almost rubs the drive cup, but it allows the link to sit better inside the lever.

Stripping the reverse gear may happen at some point, but at least I know it won't be because of a loose linkage that might've cause the gears to come out while driving.

original post:
I've had an issue where my reverse linkage pops out from the lever way too easily, mainly when going into reverse, whether moving by hand or by remote.

I've gone through the original manual and made corrections to my setup to match what it says to do. Collar to collar length is 26mm, link is oriented in the correct way, I even installed the plastic servo horn instead of using my aluminum horn.

With the plastic horn it will physically not reach to be able to push the link in enough to engage forward. This is probably why I used a longer aluminum horn. I can rotate the servo as much as I need but it's simply too short. Just wondering how anyone got reverse to work with the tiny plastic horn to begin with is a feat in itself.

I would like to think this issue may be the root problem to the link being able to easily fall out if the reverse lever. I also hate how loose the lever sits when in the reverse position.

Also take a look at the manual, page 18. It shows the vertical link (the one that attaches to the reverse module lever) has a bend before the eyelet. Mine does not bend out like that. My reverse lever link is perfectly flat when I lay it down
Is this issue resolved for you. I bought a savage truck, with a reverse installed. It did not work so I open the transmission and took everything apart. Some of the gear teeth on the reverse module were stripped. I’m thinking this is caused by the same issue you were having. I was wondering if you could please help me out, I am new to savages, just started two months ago and I already have seven of them. In my opinion they are the best truck ever made. I would like to have reverse, but not if it’s going to continue to strip and cause problems with my transmission. I have already ordered seven more reverse module kits on eBay, and 5 more 3 speed gear sets. I have everything on hand except the parts for the reverse module. They will be here next week. I am hoping that you can guide me in the right direction on how to properly install these. Do you have any pictures?
Thanks,
Zach

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back