Is this the only option for 17mm hex hubs for larger axles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InTheZone

Hot Racing 17mm Hex

I'm in the process of upgrading from my Savage X drivetrain to the 11mm dogbones and extended axles, but I realized my HPI 17mm hex adapters don't fit because there's no way to get the cross pin to sit and then secure it with a set screw because the extended axles aren't hollow.

I initially didn't go with those above because they add another 5mm and was worried on top of the extended axles it would be too wide, but if this is my only option then I'll just have to deal with it. Is there another brand out there or not because it seems as soon as these are sold out they're gone forever.

As far as I know, those are it. Unless you want to buy something else and take a saw and drill to them. That's what I did on my flux and X with the extended HPI axle stubs.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1set-Alumi...er-Red-30mm-For-1-8-Scale-RC-Car/401295876466

I cut them off near where the inside part of the hub where the pin goes starts to taper, then ground them a bit to remove my hack saw marks and take the sharp edge off. Then drilled holes for the pins in the hex area where the wheel sits, then the hex retains the pin. Then used 8mm shims to take care of any slop. Not the most elegant solution, but there's a lot of the hub remaining sitting on the smooth part of the axle stub and I can do away with the HPI hex's/spacer tubes/goofy 17mm wheel nuts.

This way I can also run zero offset wheels without having them rub on the shocks.

I just did these a few days ago. I did the ones on my flux last year when I broke the threaded tip off one of the axles. You also have to drill holes in the nut/caps so the threaded part of the axle can stick through.

2019-0417-SavageX-17mmHub-closeup.jpg

2019-0417-SavageX-17mmHub-sideNoWheels.jpg

2019-0417-SavageX-17mmHub-TrenchersFrontHigh.jpg

2019-0417-SavageX-17mmHub-TrenchersBody.jpg

I didn't have a way to hold them to cut them all the exact same length or to cut them square... so it's a bit fiddly for me to do. I just put them in my vice, marked a line and cut them with a hack saw. Also, drilling the hole in the right spot is a pain. If I had a drill press or something, it would make it easier to do them all the same. As it is, each one is shimmed a little different. Actually, only 2 have shims, the other two only had .5mm of slop, so I left them without.

Members online

Back