Is this going to be a problem for me on my bevel gear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes you will need to replace NOW .. it will only get worse... Youe will need to replace the ring gear ans pinion at the same time. Then shim them

Well I checked the small gear that connects the drive shaft to this bevel gear and it didn't even have a scratch. I suppose I should also pop open my front diff and check that one? Do I need to check the spider gears too?

(useful information removed)

Last edited by a moderator:
skip the cens... gearing on them stinks. done that craze and went back to x diffs. Just shim them out right and it will be fine. Inner gears don't blow much on x diffs. but id go with a silicone fluid when you replace the ring.

I've considered the CEN diffs... Just not sure if I want to change all my ratios. I like the balance of speed/acceleration that the stock units have. They look so wicked though! Hard decision.

Shimming would make any diff bullet-proof though right?

Or don't skip the CEN's. Larger pitch and stronger. That's not a craze. You can shim those too and have something beefier. You are obviously having problems with the stock.

There are other gears that can compensate for the gearing change.

Your truck, your call.

I've considered the CEN diffs... Just not sure if I want to change all my ratios. I like the balance of speed/acceleration that the stock units have. They look so wicked though! Hard decision.

Shimming would make any diff bullet-proof though right?

15/49 got me real close to stock after adding them

And as far as shimming and being bulletproof? Ask some Flux guys about that.

I think I'll probably stay with stock diffs for the moment. I am however quite interested in the CEN diffs. I have a buddy with a CEN and may get rid of it, maybe then I'll jump in and buy his rig and see what I can use from it. Also, I figure I'll learn how to shim these properly before I spend the extra bucks on on something I may wreck just as quickly anyway.

One advantage to changing the spur/clutch ratio would be I'd avoid this "spring time" city-wide shortage of 47t spur gears...

Also, how do you calculate your final drive ratio? I understand the clutch bell/spur gear ratio, and I understand the pinion/bevel gear ration in the diff, but how do you figure those two ratios together?

I just didnt like the raito's with the 47 spur gear. I used 15-18. I went back to stock after a year or playing with them. 49 and up spurs are too slow for me. I just went to 45 on my picco truck. I would like to test cens on that spur but gone now...

Its all in your driving if you blow a diff or not. My mill blows up trannys but don't hurt the x diffs. Now if I noob a jump with a hand full of throttle thats a different issue. Cen's fail like that too.. X gears are a stronger design than cen but its the bulk head that is the issue. Shims x 's right and keep your finger off the throttle and brake when landing jumps also cartwheeling you will never strip a diff. ... more so cartwheeling! Bulk flexes like poop in a tumble...

I've been running Cen diffs for over a year now and have done everything you could imagine. I even just recently discovered a bearing on the rear diff was locked. It completely destroyed the bulk and shaved the gears a little. Funny thing is I never noticed a drop in performance. I run a LRP Z.28 Spec3 and a 47t spur 18cb and killed my second gear. I had more problems with the stock X diffs running the F4.6 and same gears. Yes the diffs were shimmed as close to perfect as I could get. I seriously beat the hell outta my savy and Cens have yet to let me down. I've even run under throttle jumping and cartwheeling just to see if they would take it. The only thing that has suffered since the Cen diffs is dogbones. Right now I've stalled on my build but the only thing I'm changing is to a smaller CB. The Cen diffs live Bank! Not just a fad IMO. :stickpoke:

they are for me. Savagesam chime in on this I know you feel the same way about them. They suck the life out of a mill. If you can enjoy them I say kudos to you. I see the difference and it is quite a bit on the negative side. But are good for bad drivers for sure (not calling anyone that).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm far from a noob but I do just enjoy a bashing now and then. I'm just telling kevinor my experience with them. I don't have the money to jump from fad to fad like some and feel, though pricy, Cen diffs will keep you running and not wrenching. My LRP has been in as long as the Cens and still runs strong. I may be approaching 2 1/2 gallons on it so maybe I have yet to see what they do to it. I can tell you my throttle finger and WOT running matched with a HPI polished pipe is probably been worse on it than the diffs. Not flaming, just saying.

:ban5::stickspank:

whats for racing ? not cens

yea parker I see your pov. I don't think they are worth the money. I have a hard time wrecking hpis now that I shim them up right. Also never ran them on my LRP just my novarossi and my picco.

Now thats the man to ask ^^^ I don't know if Jeremy has the CENs, but I would love to see his review. I think he has the record for busted diffs here.

He used them and sold them too. Please do tell why you stoped useing them jermey!

Think my one comment took this WAAAAY off topic so I'm done have fun and kev no matter what ya do have fun with it!

I'm on the fence with the CEN mod. Once I went with GPM metal diff cases and shimmed the diffs, I haven't busted a diff since. That was about 4 years ago. On my second truck with X bulks, I have busted a couple of front diffs. All were due to me running into obstacles at high speeds. :duh:

I think The CEN diffs are defintely stronger, but fewer and bigger teeth make it less percise. Kid of clumsy or choppy feel as opposed to the smaller morenumerous HPI diff. I have never tried the CENs so I'm not doubting anyone. I just don't bust enough diffs to worry about the expense or trouble of the mod. Jeremy on the other hand needs as much help as he can get.:resp:

Yea I went threw alot of diffs.. I sold my cen's before I could break them .. ( I would have broke them btw) .. They held up great .. Grearing was a little weird at first but ..No big deal . Most people want more top end anyway right ?

But I do think if you know how to shim your stock diffs they will be fine .

You still just need to watch the the Full throttle landings .. That will kill them fast

Latest posts

Members online

Back