is the savage platform obsolete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jays13

seems like all forums that were active for savage years ago are now mostly dormant.
is it the economy or have people moved on to different platforms like xmaxx and such.

You are probably right.... the latest and greatest always catches the most PR and people upgrade accordingly. I just aquired a couple of "old" Savages (an X and an XL) and they are a big leap from my older Redcat stuff but I'm sure there are newer and better rigs around. Having older stuff doesn' bother me at all. I just don't like the dormant forums as you rightly observed, and I don't like that the aftermarket support soon dries up when something new comes along. All joking aside, and I hate to admit it, but Traxxas seems to be always on top of things and even their old stuff is well supported in every way. But I'd still like to add that I'm enjoying the hell out if my Savages.

I don't really get what your asking?

The Savage comes in three main builds Flux, X and XL so that is nice for people like myself that still perfer the sound and power band of a real nitro methane engine. The Power of brushless is adictive but all you can hear is the truck flop over and scrape on it lid, the kidos are always asking to bring the nitro unit out

Comparing the Savage to a X max is apples to oranges, It is way bigger and heavyer like a 1/5 scale. And only come in brushless, and need at least 6s to get out of its own way, as the tires are heaveier to a full savage!

When it come to a 1/8 bashing truck the XL and Flux are still the best, best diffs, best trans (kinda), best wheelbase, good factory tires and axles,the revo is a bit better handaling but still not as strong.

i still have my, probably first ever brushless converted xl. its a truck i will keep, i was just wondering why most savage forums are dormant.

i still have my, probably first ever brushless converted xl. its a truck i will keep, i was just wondering why most savage forums are dormant.

Many of the older forums are slow, Facebook groups have taken over and most of the forums are slow, good thing we still have :hpisf: and all its great info....

well Facebook is not going anywhere so just get used to that fact, I am a member of lots of groups and just like forums there is some good and some bad....

seems like all forums that were active for savage years ago are now mostly dormant.
is it the economy or have people moved on to different platforms like xmaxx and such.
Sure the Savage has some age on it, but obsolete I don't think so. Even as old as the platform is, it's still pretty popular.

That said the RC hobby as a whole isn't what it used to be years ago and this goes far and beyond just Facebook. I mean the largest RC company just filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy if this doesn't tell you a little something then I'm not sure what will.

The hobby used to be pretty simple, on-road or off-road and car or monster truck. Now the hobby is very much broken up into all sorts of avenues. Do you want monster trucks, cars, scale trucks, crawlers, short course trucks, 1/10th or 1/5th scale now, and more and more and more. To add to it drones have taken a front seat for many people, from casual to photography to racing.

Many local hobby stores have failed to remain competitive against online stores as people are more concerned about saving $1.00 rather than the local guy (heck look at how many local stores Wal-mart has killed). The local hobby shops are a huge part of the hobby, offering parts today, many offering racing and other events thus promoting the hobby. As these continue to close we lose the new generation.

I love this hobby but things and time is changing. To say it's "facebook" or to even point to one single other thing is wrong.

Support your local stores, support your local hobby shops. Enjoy the hobby!

I rather support my local hobby shop even at the 45minute drive than give some online retailer my money and lose another local hobby shop due to me being a cheap skate.

as i came out with the bashcat bulkhead braces years ago. all forums were full of cool modding projects and advices for beginners. as i was thinking about going back into making parts for ar cars, i was wondering what platform is in the biggest demand for hop up parts. and i mean real hop up parts. stuff that makes your truck better and cheaper to run. not stupid aluminum arms that will tear your truck in half when you have a nasty hit.

A lot of very good comments here. I think the fact that there are so many sub genres like crawling and scale drag racing along with drones etc., etc., etc. has watered down the hobby in some ways. I can't be involved in all of it and do it justice although I wish I could! I suspect that the more plug and play pieces hit the market the less people become immersed in the hobby. They will use ut and move on. I guess that's the way things evolve in any hobby in the Amazon age. Maybe that's the way it always was. I remember when my LHS had few RC cars and there was no eBay to turn to. Tamiya was a big seller... lol... and that's all we knew.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back