Is the O.S. 30VG (P) a direct drop in for the Savy XL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any big block motor (.21 and up I think) should fit right in. I've heard on the picco mills that you have to file the motor mount a bit on the inside edges to make it fit. But that should work fine for you. I Just put an LRP .28 in my XL and the motor mount bolted right up. The backplate hit the TVP's with the stock 16/52 gearing but I just used my dremel to file the TVP a tiny bit in two spots. A simple gearing change would have solved the problem as well but I didn't want to wait for it to get here.

Thanks Mike for the info .
My xl came in yesterday . I'll try a break it in today . I'm very impressed with the Savage chassis layout . Very nice design .

Wait until you start really bashing it, you'll be even more impressed! You may find a weak link or two but these trucks are tough! The only things I had problems with were minor like the small hardware. Screws and things like that either fallilng out or shearing off. Took me a long time to blow the rear diff and I upgraded to the HPI bullet proof diffs and it hasn't happened since! Your truck probably already has them! It is standard in the XL and FLUX now. The bearings on the old ring gears were a weak point too, but the BP diffs use a larger bearing on the ring gear side and they hold up much better! Did yours come with the new 2.4 Ghz radio? If not I would say that's probably the only upgrade you really need!

Yes , it did come with the 2.4 radio.

Any big block motor (.21 and up I think) should fit right in. I've heard on the picco mills that you have to file the motor mount a bit on the inside edges to make it fit. But that should work fine for you. I Just put an LRP .28 in my XL and the motor mount bolted right up. The backplate hit the TVP's with the stock 16/52 gearing but I just used my dremel to file the TVP a tiny bit in two spots. A simple gearing change would have solved the problem as well but I didn't want to wait for it to get here.

X2 all good info here. For motor mount clearance issues due to gearing try button head screw over caps b4 you file out TVPS .. Normally all they need

X2 all good info here. For motor mount clearance issues due to gearing try button head screw over caps b4 you file out TVPS .. Normally all they need

My issue was with the whole backplate touching the TVP's so the button head screws would not have helped in my case. LRP .28 and 16/52 gearing on stock XL TVP's.

My issue was with the whole backplate touching the TVP's so the button head screws would not have helped in my case. LRP .28 and 16/52 gearing on stock XL TVP's.

yea I know that Mike. I was just posting that caz some guys like to grind b4 they think of simple options. That was not at you bud.

OS.30 18/49 gearing, no fit issues.
IM000370.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Back