Is savage flux xl worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellrazr1231

I used to have a savage years ago (savage 25 I think) so a lot of years ago lol. Modified everything on it and loved that truck. I have read a ton of reviews on the flux xl but almost everything is on the flux xl v1. I can’t find much on the v2. Is the v2 worth getting? It cost more upfront when compared to other trucks but I assume it would be a beast with a steering Servo and diff upgrades. Rather pay more upfront then more down the road. Am I better off getting the arrma notorious 6s and saving $200?
Seems like Hpi picked up a lot of haters while going through ownership transfers.
Thanks

HPI makes tanks. Very tough, if not the toughest frame in the RC market. One can spend a little more upfront and run it. Or less upfront and a lot more on upgrades. The new version is almost the same other than the body as near as I can tell. If you loved the one you had you will love the new version as well.

In the USA. I see parts on eBay, HobbyTown and Amazon so not to worried about it. I don’t much about electric but seems like the flux still has the same “feel” as the old savages. Just not sure how it compares to the new maxx or notorious. It seems like crappy servos and weak diffs plague all the RTRs. I assume after some diff upgrades, servo and shocks that it would be on par with my old savage.

In the USA. I see parts on eBay, HobbyTown and Amazon so not to worried about it. I don’t much about electric but seems like the flux still has the same “feel” as the old savages. Just not sure how it compares to the new maxx or notorious. It seems like crappy servos and weak diffs plague all the RTRs. I assume after some diff upgrades, servo and shocks that it would be on par with my old savage.

Flux XL should have all the good diff gears inside it from the factory, crappy servos are the norm for rtr stuff across the industry, they like to cheap out on electronics to "save" the end user $$$ which we all know does not save but costs more money to upgrade the crap the manufacturers supply...
I miss the old days of building kits and doing things the way factorys and manufacturers should do in the first place, as long as you know the crap they supply is going to fail and have the foresight to buy the better stuff and be ready when the stock crap fails you should be good

The Flux XL V2 has the new Standardized 17mm Aluminum Hex Hubs, a center diff and CAPTURED HINGE PINS, other than that is just a GTXL-1 with a facelift. If you buy the V2 , the upgrades you'll need to do sooner or latter:
-replace the forged diff gears with #102692 machined bulletproof diff bevel gear 29t/9t set
- better servo
- better wheels
- rear aluminum hubs
- better connectors

If you want to go the Arrma way, at least get the EXB versions, but you'll need to do some upgrades also:
-Aluminum bulkheads
-aluminum diff cases
-aluminum hubs
- better servo

The Arrma's are a little bit easier to work on, that might be the advantage over the Savage, other than that you'll need to do upgrades on both platforms... If it was me, I would buy the GTXL-1, throw the Alza center diff kit in it, get the HPI-160141 17mm Aluminum Hex Hubs kit, and latter do the other mods I mentioned above, the V2 still comes with that gear box and slipper clutch which is garbage in my opinion...
Keep in mind I don't know your driving style, so you might need even more mods if you're an aggressive driver😅

At my local rc shop, they are selling brand new Savage XL FLUX GTXL-1 for €470... Never owned a FLUX but I am starting to feel the temptation...

Members online

Back