is it time to convert?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbreddie

It was my birthday yesterday, so my wife suggested that I should take out my savage (and my kids) to the park.

The truck was running very well for about 10 minutes, then the engine just stopped instantly! its not seized but it appears the conrod bearing has worn very badly. Is this worth fixing? or is it going to be a new engine?

:mushroom:

If its going to be a new engine, then I am thinking of converting to electric. So here is my question...

How easy and cheap can a conversion be done? I don't need massive performance but it does need to be reasonably quick. I want to have a reasonable time between charges, at least 20 mins if possible.

Are there any particular types of batteries which are better or worse than others.

I have a budget of less than £100 or $150

I am based in the UK so things seem to cost more over here!

Thanks for any help you guys can give

How many tanks / gallons on this motor ?
and for $150 you might get the brushless motor =D
another $150 will get the ESC, and about another $150 will be a cheap charger & some cheap packs (to start off with)

Then you will need the battery boxes, tvps, motor mount, heat sink ect ect, about $500 to build one from scratch and that's with a charger & lipos.
Or you can pick up the Savage Flux 2350 for $500 plus you need a charger & lipos still.

Ive had about 20 tanks of fuel through the engine.

I have been looking on ebay and can get a brushless motor and esc for about £80 plus batteries and charger. cable ties will hold the batteries onto the sides of the chassis.

Like I say, its gotta be cheap. I have too many kids to justify spending loads of cash on my hobby.

I just don't understand the difference between batteries. 7.2volt is 7.2volt, isnt it??

What size motor do I need? how do I tell the difference?

Ok so you need a budget build, i tried ebay i gave up got every thing i needed and the esc and motor go from $50 each to $180 each so I'm just going to buy them out right for now.

for batteries.
Depends on how fast you wanna go.
To start i would go with 2x 2S 5000mah 7.4v 35C packs, witch equals 4S total.

what size motor and esc do I need for a savage?. I am not trying to break the land speed record, but a bit of speed is always fun

I just don't understand the difference between batteries. 7.2volt is 7.2volt, isnt it??

yes, 7.2v is 7.2v but the other considerations are the capacity of the battery (savage wants something around the 5000Mah/5A range) and the discharge rate (you'll want something around 35c or higher)

What size motor do I need? how do I tell the difference?

because the savage is a heavy car, you want lower rpm/more torque when selecting a brushless motor.

motor rpm is measured in "kV." to calculate this, you multiply the motor kV x the number of volts.

so a 2200kV motor x 22.2 (or 6s lipos) will give you 48,840 rpm

(note this is just the rpm of the motor armature and does not take the gearing or tire diameter into consideration)

many thanks for the help guys!

not sure which path to go down yet, but nitro has been a pain in the ### so far. maybe electric will be a little more reliable!

I will have to look into the costs of each path.

Thanks again

Latest posts

Members online

Back