Is 100K wt diff oil OK for use in the Savage's differentials?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Form

I went to my LHS today to get the various oils & other stuff I need to build my Savage which should be arriving in a few days :D. I didn't look too closely at the bottle in the shop because it seemed to be the 10K diff oil I had on the list I gave them.

After looking more closely, it seems to be some 100K diff oil.

This seems to be a VERY high wt rating compared to what I've read people use on the forum.

What do you think?

some people use it but if you wanted 10 k theres quiet an obvious difference. for strictly bashing it will work but if you want a racing set up 10k and lower is the best bet.

I have used 50K many times which works great. 100k would be a little thick but could be used in the rear you definitely don't want to use that in the front. 50K still gives some good differential action. I'm sure 100k would as well but will be much more minimal. For racing you want to use 5K to 10K.

how you get 100k out of the bottle?

:lmao3: It seems quite thick indeed. Seems like it's glued to the walls of the bottle!

You can use the 100K oil to coat the outside of your diffs to keep dust and debris from going in.

Yep I was thinking just that!

What oil wt do you people recommend for good diff life and for it to work like it's intended to (i.e. like a differential!)? Ideally I'd like an oil weight which would not tend to leak out. I've seen comments about low wt oil (10K and less?) leaking out for some people.

I guess I'm going to have to go back to the hobby shop... what about something between 20 and 30? I don't intend on racing (yet) so I guess 10 or below is not necessary.

I personally would not run the 100k on the outside of the diff. Even though it is thick, it is not thick enough to stay in the bulkhead and can leak out around the skid plate. There is not a very tight seal around the skid plate and the diff access. Also the oil will thin out a little when its hot and also leak out, possibly leaving the diff and pinion unlubricated. Just my .02

I personally would not run the 100k on the outside of the diff. Even though it is thick, it is not thick enough to stay in the bulkhead and can leak out around the skid plate. There is not a very tight seal around the skid plate and the diff access. Also the oil will thin out a little when its hot and also leak out, possibly leaving the diff and pinion unlubricated. Just my .02

Ok, so what would you recommend for use on the outside on the diffs then?

i use 10k front and back and it stays in there. but then again i make sure my diffs are screwed tight with allen heads and locktite lol

What about the grease/oil you put on the outside of the diff case? What stuff do you all use?

I'd like to know ASAP since I'll probably go back to my LHS tomorrow and I'll get everything that's missing at the same time.

And regarding the diff case oiling, where does the grease/oil go on the diff exactly? On the diff case's bevel gear (what's the name for that?) and on the pinion gear, plus the surface of the case itself (i.e: everywhere)? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

i just use a dab of hpi green grease on the ring and pinion or a dry lube like graphite

That's nice. I just got a can of dry Graphite Extreme so if I can use that on the diffs I think it would be much less of a mess in there (I guess grease must splash everywhere inside after a while).

I also got a tube of green slime from Associated.

What would be best between those? Any other opinions/suggestions?

I use valvoline wheel bearing grease. I have heard of others using white lithium grease froimn a tube, not the stuff from a can.

i use 10k front and back and it stays in there. but then again i make sure my diffs are screwed tight with allen heads and locktite lol

+1, me too. get replacement gaskets at your LHS (like 10pack for $4) and replace them whenever you open your diffs, which you should do about the gallon mark n e way.

i put some green synthetic grease on my ring/pinion, its the stuff they grease the trucks with at work. good stuff.

I might get some grease then. Or would the Graphite Extreme do the trick? If I already have something that would work it would be one less thing to buy.

I think I've heard that the diff case should be covered with grease so the dust sticks to it instead of going in the gears.. I guess the Graphite Extreme wouldn't work in then because it's dry... what do you think?

I've had good luck w/10k up front and 5k in rear and use mobil 1 syn red grease on the gears . But I also would like to know what other weights of oils to use for racing, I don't bash my truck much any more.

What about the grease/oil you put on the outside of the diff case? What stuff do you all use?

I'd like to know ASAP since I'll probably go back to my LHS tomorrow and I'll get everything that's missing at the same time.

And regarding the diff case oiling, where does the grease/oil go on the diff exactly? On the diff case's bevel gear (what's the name for that?) and on the pinion gear, plus the surface of the case itself (i.e: everywhere)? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I like silicone grease on the outside gears.

Latest posts

Members online

Back