Integy MSR8 Super Heavy Duty Savage Shocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice, be sure to do a good review of them after some hardcore bashing.

hope they work well for you, i had some and the seals always broke around the top and they leaked everywhere

not a fan of integy stuff anymore :(

i also had some bad experinces with them..but that was the msr4's and the 5's..( i don't learn easy)..but these are built heavy duty..and i hope they hold out!!!

Nice shocks but couldn't help seeing your running a VP CF roll bar. Cool I have one as well. VP did something right

Well i took the truck out several times..and i beat the tar out of it.Don't get me wrong,i usally bash hard ,but this time i was out to see if i could damage these things.I ran my truck off the top of some insane hills with of course some awful landings and tumblings...so far the only thing i have damaged is the mounting bolts in the shock tower it's self.The first day i hit my buddy so hard head on at Wide Open Throttle i tore the bottom control arm right off the truck...the shock was perfect.The next day i took on the hills..i would hit the bottom of the hill wide open..nothing..up it would go and over the top ..great air time and land down below..still good shape,and thats with the Big Joes bouncing around at the end of the also.'
I did find 8 shocks way to stiff,even with lighter oil in them..so now i've reduced it to 4..and i run them all on the outside corners.I've checked several different styles of 4 shock conversions...and this way i hope the arms don't get to much flex in them...but the shocks are almost perfect like this.
The funny thing about that last day was..there were around 10-15 people out there and they thought i was unloading a shelf queen...till i started launching off the top of the hills...hopefully that sold them on the shocks also!!!!

Joe - It's nice to hear that after a few attempts to design a shock for the Savage Integy stuck with it. I have the full resivor from Integy on the crawler

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the 4 shocks work awesome,i ran them on the outside at all 4 corners,i set them up a little on the rear to help with the squat and wow..very impressed.I took the savy off some small jumps and ran over some pretty deep rutts in 3rd gear and you hardly noticed them.I started having clutch bearing problems so my day ended after a bit.After checking every thing over...no leaks..no bends..very happy with these shocks.I will get this clutch set up and hopefully get some air time for you guys.
We did get some good bashing in tho..i ran my other savage with the SH P6 .28 in it and had a blast..the thing is so light and with that engine...what a snake.The PRMs that it puts out is amazing..so i can't wait to see what your guys ,modded .30's are going to be like.

>>just a quick picture of what it looks like with 4 shocks...and what a bad landing does..lol

What wt oil do you use ?

I've ordered 35wt for the front, and 40wt for the rear for my MSR8 shocks...

But I've read somewhere that they recommend less than 20wt oil on those shocks..

Santa - Basher Haven tried a heavier oil and it was too much. He has said try the 25 weight oil and 4 shocks setup. He ran the 8 shocks and thought it was a little to much. He switched over to 4 and a lighter weight oil and they are holding up just fine.

Hm.. I think I'' try 8 of them and Associated Silicone Shock Oil 15 Wt oil...

I've ordered both 35 wt, 40 wt 10 wt & 15 wt oil :)

Also I have a bottle of 100wt oil, so I've got every opportunity to experiment :)

Just remeber..most shock problems come from to thick of oil..the shocks them selves come with 3 different choices of baffles with them..i used the 4 hole ones..and 25 weight oil..my savage has a ton of alum on it..and with the 8 shocks mounted...it didn't flex one bit when dropped from a height of say 6 feet...they don't have any different choces of springs out yet for these bad boys;..but hopefully they are in the making..i would like to get back to 8..but wow this set up so far seems to work out just awesome.
Plus once you get them...you will need to use spacers to space out the shock from the lower arm..as these are huge,way bigger in dia than the stockers....barely fit between the upper arms and the tierods..this is another reason i was trying 4.

integy junk(should have known better)

hey i`m a basher but i`m running 4 on the outside corners 20wt oil and I lost the extra baffles so I just drilled the holes out a bit(running the 2 hole baffles) turned a little pre load in the rear .So far bent 3 shafts in about 10 tanks of fuel! down to 1 extra shaft left. new shafts are on back order. thinking about the LST conversion. Does any one think that putting fuel tubing spacer inside shock between the plunger and the shaft o rings would help with the bending shaft problem. Due to the fact of more of the sock shaft will be left inside the shock tube. ie. less leaverage on the shaft.

when the shafts are straight it handles pretty well!!!:dmt::dmt:

went out on saturday bent 2 more shafts went str. to the hobbie shop and bought big bores !!!INTEGY sucks:duh: :retarded:why doesn't somebody make a stronger shaft fo these? there is a crap load of these shocks out there and the only problem i've had are the soft shock shafts does anybody know of a shaft that will work? or a after market shaft?

I've been using the MSR8 for 6 months with no problem, just got a bunch of their XL parts. They've come a long way and these new XL parts are just bullet proof, I've been doing 10ft+ jumps and believe it or not, my truck comes back in one piece. 20 weight might still be too thick, I run 8 shocks with 15 weight. By the way, are you running the black foam pieces inside the reservoirs?

I just looked and no i am not! and I was only running 4 shocks. I have since went to the big bores and love them!!! but I would like to put the msr8 shocks on my kids savage but don't want to rebuild them every time we go bashing! I spend enough time fixing my savage (too much throttle not enough tallent!):duh:

I know this thread is really old but needs some help with msr8 shocks. After a few minutes of drive time the shocks stiffen up so bad I you almost have to pull them back out if they get compressed. Move the shock in and out a few times and they work great for another few minutes. If I let the truck sit for any length of time more than 6 minutes the shocks get stuck and will not move again I have to move them in and out a few times to free them up. I am running 3 hole with 15 weight oil. Any Ideas?

are they new ?? all mine came that way new :( was pretty mad after paying 110 bucks for them :( i had to drill the pistons out and get lighter oil

Yes they are all new. I added oil changed to the three hole pistons.

I checked the shaft and they are not bent. Pulled them out and rolled them on the granite table.

It is like the orings are hanging up on the shaft. Is this possible.

Hm.. I think I'' try 8 of them and Associated Silicone Shock Oil 15 Wt oil...

I've ordered both 35 wt, 40 wt 10 wt & 15 wt oil :)

Also I have a bottle of 100wt oil, so I've got every opportunity to experiment :)

let me know how that works out, so far ive tried 25 through 70.if I was going to the skate park i would run 50-70, If I wanted to race the track 25, I like 30-30 as a good all around weight for a 14lb machine

Ok learned the hard way. I am completely over Integy aluminum shocks. These things are junk. Took out the truck today and bent one shaft in 5 minutes. Shocks got so stiff they would not even rebound. On ebay they go. DONE.

Still have not changed my mind.

I still hate these shocks.

I picked them up today and they were so hard to pull out it was rediculous. But once they broke free smooth as glass. Go Figure.

Members online

No members online now.
Back