Installing flywheel / clutch bell, but drive shaft hangs out of clutch to far? w/pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StockFG

Hey guys,

Got an SH28 here for my Savage XL, and I put the brass compression type bush on the engine shaft first, then the flywheel and parts ... but after I slide the clutch bell on the engine shaft hangs out of the end a fair way ... so when you install the bolt to hold it all on the clutch bell can float back and forth.

Here are some pics so you know what I mean.

Am I missing a piece or something? Or do I need to just install washers or something to take up the play?

cheers guys

IMG_0290_zps375b5a12.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0291_zps7fa5c922.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0292_zps97fcd2b1.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0293_zps191dec0a.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0295_zpsffbb38ef.jpg
[/URL]

I would install a couple washers behind the collet and that should get ya the correct spacing for the unit.....

I would install a couple washers behind the collet and that should get ya the correct spacing for the unit.....

He is correct, done this several times myself. But put them between the bearing and the screw. Just make sure that the washers only cover the inner race of the bearing, otherwise it will not spin freely. Or you can include a little gap between screw head and the washers, but personally I don't like there to be slop there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually that is perfect the way you have it. Hpi makes little brass bushings that are made specifically for this that take up that play.
don't put washers behind the collet, you'll never get the bell and spur to line up right if you do

No worries guys awesome! Because there was so much free play I was worried I had left something out. Ok il shim it up and see how we go, il report back.

Well if ya reference the first pic , the collet should be right at the end of the threads,least thats how i like it to be, so a couple .005 shims will line it up about right. and then on the bell end install a few shims to take up the slop, locktite the screw in place after getting the clearance right you should be good to go, on a side note make sure whatever shims you use on the bell end do not protrude into the teeth area, that will cost ya a spur right off.....reason i say caz i have done it before :lmao:

It's missing the steel bushing that goes on just before you put the screw in the end of the crank, look at the last picture it's not a shim issue

Latest posts

Members online

Back