installed DX3S today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastPete

Hi,Well installed my DX3S today.All works good except a few issues.

No RPM,I had to modify the braket a bit to get on my savage.Has a shiny flywheel so installed a black dot.I set the air gap just under 1/8 " like the instructions say.It said 480 RPM for a split second now 0 all the time? Have you seen this?Should I tighten up the gap?

And I have a Hi-tech steering servo works great and a stock T/B servo the brake works fine,and if I apply the throtte slow opens fine.But if I open the throttle fast it sits at 3/4 throttle and shutters? Any ideas.Was fine with the stock radio.

And one last thing I have 4 Team Orion 1.25 volt 2700 batterys in the radio,charged them for 14 hrs.And volts say 4.4,and after about a hour 4.1-4.0.Is this a problem?

Thanks for all the help.

Pete

on the servo did you adjust the end points in the tx?

and its designed for alkaline 1.5 volt cells so 4 rechargeables may be a issue as your best can be 4.8.. over 6 volt. I'm not telling you to but I modded mine and it runs off hump packs now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I did will double check.

Do you think the battery voltage could be a problem? I will get different ones I guess.

Any ideas on the RPM issue?

None on the RPM at all. Did the dot come off? for the voltage I don't know what kind of run times that will give you. Just keep your hump charged and run them down till the fail safe kicks in then look at the voltage and you will know...

No

I'm going to check the throttle end points now.The steering works great.

End point fine on the throttle servo.I wonder if the stock servo is bad.Maybe it was always doing this.Go slow its fine,smash the throttle it shutters at 3/4.Also if you slowly get it to full throttle and just blip it to 3/4 to full again it just shutters at 3/4 wont go back to full throttle.

Also hums in the reated state unless you wiggle it from brk to throttle with the trigger.

Help.

A tip for setting up the rpm sensor---leave the bracket that holds the sensor loose and start the engine (be carefull not to push the sensor onto the flywheel) keep an eye on the transmitor screen and move the sensor forward slowly till you see it start to register RPM's (then tighten the bracket) if that does not work try swaping the black dot (that sticks to the flywheel) with the black line to be sure it is passing the sensor correctly.
I had problems using the black dot and once changed to the black line all was well....+1 on upgrading to a hump pack for the servo problems (2.4GHz systems don't work well with 4 aa's)....hope this helps...

Yes have a hump pack 7 volts charged up.Thanks for the tip on the RPM will let you know.

Any ideas on the servo problem?

Bank can I call you Bank? I don't know if I can change the frame rate don't recall seeing that.

Think I figured out the throttle works every time with the return spring off.Must be the servo huh?

Too late to mess with the RPM

Yes have a hump pack 7 volts charged up.Thanks for the tip on the RPM will let you know.

Any ideas on the servo problem?

Bank can I call you Bank? I don't know if I can change the frame rate don't recall seeing that.

Its got to be there somewhere. They all do it 3.0 and 3r So that must. But that may not be it. I was thinking mine on 5.5 ms but the 3S wont go that fast. Its DSM not 2. If the spring tension was doing it then its most likely just that and not what I was thinking. Also Bank or Justin are fine.

Hi,Well installed my DX3S today.All works good except a few issues.

No RPM,I had to modify the braket a bit to get on my savage.Has a shiny flywheel so installed a black dot.I set the air gap just under 1/8 " like the instructions say.It said 480 RPM for a split second now 0 all the time? Have you seen this?Should I tighten up the gap?

And I have a Hi-tech steering servo works great and a stock T/B servo the brake works fine,and if I apply the throtte slow opens fine.But if I open the throttle fast it sits at 3/4 throttle and shutters? Any ideas.Was fine with the stock radio.

And one last thing I have 4 Team Orion 1.25 volt 2700 batterys in the radio,charged them for 14 hrs.And volts say 4.4,and after about a hour 4.1-4.0.Is this a problem?

Thanks for all the help.

Pete

hey pete, can you snap a photo of how you modded & mounted? This Tx comes up a lot in conversation, wouldnt mind havin' a look at what your talkin' about. good luck with the radio equip, i hear its pretty sweet :resp:

Will do as soon as I get a camera.Just to let everyone know I got the RPM working great.They need to add this to the instructions.Theres a green light in the reciever that comes on when the gap is good.Just tightened up the gap till the green light came on.Then glow plug out turned it over and had a solid 1440 RPM.Then turned it by hand till the green light only went out once when the black dot went past the sensor.All good now.I hope this helps someone out.

Pete

Will do as soon as I get a camera.Just to let everyone know I got the RPM working great.They need to add this to the instructions.Theres a green light in the reciever that comes on when the gap is good.Just tightened up the gap till the green light came on.Then glow plug out turned it over and had a solid 1440 RPM.Then turned it by hand till the green light only went out once when the black dot went past the sensor.All good now.I hope this helps someone out.

Pete

Hmmm! Interesting, I have the same TX/RX but never thought about that one. I'll try it and let you know how it goes. since I installed it I thought the RPM was just a showoff with no real RPM measurement.

What's really funny is that when you convert to MPH it will say that your truck is going like at 5 MPH when in reality is not moving (but you still have RPMs). I wonder if this sensor can be placed somewhere other than the flywheel. For example inside the tranny or somewhere else.

Pete

Awesome info Pete most don't say thanks but I'm sure this will help out a few folks! :resp::resp: I repped you already so cant again for a bit...:resp:

I think you will find the MPH reliable once you get your RPM working right.Going to the track tomorrow will let you know how it goes.What kills me is I was on RC Tech giving the same info and questions and that Gary from Spektrum and hesitates to answer me and brushes off my info as it SHOULD be in the instructions.

Thanks Bank what do the points mean?

rpm sensor

When I was setting up my rpm sensor and mount I noticed that the mount didnt sit well against my F4.6 because it bulges in the middle of the mounting bracket... I ground down a gap in between the 2 mounting slots and then screwed it down.. I realized that the sensor was still not anywhere near being able to see the flywheel.. I tapped the bracket until it bent to the point where it was seeing the flywheel perfectly.. The bracket was easily bendable.. Great pickup

I think you will find the MPH reliable once you get your RPM working right.Going to the track tomorrow will let you know how it goes.What kills me is I was on RC Tech giving the same info and questions and that Gary from Spektrum and hesitates to answer me and brushes off my info as it SHOULD be in the instructions.

Thanks Bank what do the points mean?
Some people think their poop don't stink. Never hesitate to post something do to a few ignorant people!!! The higher ups are normaly like that. You should blow them off just the same.

The points are for things like jazzing up your name (like mine is) and giving gifts like the fishy I gave you. There is a thread on what you can do with them but Ill be happy to walk you threw anthing just holla at me anytime you see me on.

rpm sensor

hey pete, could you snap a pic of how you mounted the RPM sensor.. I'm having problems with it hitting the tvp.. I cant seem to figure out how to mount it :(.. please help !

hi guys i messed around with a setup like that before... and the mph can be accurate if it is on a single speed truck/car... or it can be set accurate in either 1st or 2nd gear in a 2 speed....now if you want accurate mph in both gears and are willing to give up the rpm feature then the sensor can be pointed at the front drive cup on the transmission... hope this helps !!!!!!

Hmmm! Interesting, I have the same TX/RX but never thought about that one. I'll try it and let you know how it goes. since I installed it I thought the RPM was just a showoff with no real RPM measurement.

What's really funny is that when you convert to MPH it will say that your truck is going like at 5 MPH when in reality is not moving (but you still have RPMs). I wonder if this sensor can be placed somewhere other than the flywheel. For example inside the tranny or somewhere else.

Obie Pete said he does not have a cam could you snap us some pics ?

Could you please take more pictures ? I still can't figure out how to get mine to work with the F4.6

Hey Vis, I read your last post and it says you are having trouble with the bracket hitting your TPV, the bracket should be well clear of the TPV's, could you take a photo of your problem and I will try and help you out, :eek:)

Do you have your bracket mounted inside ? or outside.. Mine is outside, that's why its hitting the tvp

Do you have your bracket mounted inside ? or outside.. Mine is outside, that's why its hitting the tvp

Look @ this picture and you can see the silver bracket runing along the side of the engine, pointing at the flywheel (with the cable runing to the RPM sensor)..it wont work on the other side of the engine because it would hit the TPV.

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2289&d=1228647437

Hope this helps to get your RPM counter working.:resp:

I don't see how it would mount correctly on the inside.. the sensor won't be able to see my flywheel.. Maybe i'll take the engine out again and check it out

I don't see how it would mount correctly on the inside.. the sensor won't be able to see my flywheel.. Maybe i'll take the engine out again and check it out

I know what the problem is now, you need to use just 1 screw that holds the sensor on the bracket, you need to turn it a little because I think the bracket was designed to use on the other side but with the savage you can only use it on one side, take 1 screw out and turn the sensor slightly so it will aim at the back of your flywheel, and be carefull not to over tighten screw because you may damage the sensor. We will get there don't worry :resp:

Sara20and20Liams20Crimbo20200820033.jpg

yea I'll take the engine out sometime soon to do that.. I had the truck out today and I don't want to take it apart yet ! Thanks again for all the help thus far, we WILL get there eventually

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back