Inexpensive Homemade Skid Plate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noakes75

Alright, so I'm new to this whole RC thing and I just dropped around 80 dollars in my rig getting a lot of the upgrades that the guys on here have mentioned. With that said I really didn't wanna spend another 20 plus dollars on a skid plate right away but I figured it was best to have one rather then have to pay for repairs later. So I started looking around the house for what I could use to make a skid plate. I wanted to use some 18 gauge (i think) aluminum but I was unable to find it. In my search for that I came across some old ABS plastic that I bought a while ago that I was using to customize my 1:1 S-10. So I figured what the heck I would give it a try.
So I took it, measured it all up and started to cut. Luckily this stuff is pretty thin (I think 1/8 inch) so I was able to cut it with just a utility knife. Well after I cut it out to specs I noticed that it was flat going against the frame giving it no curves to bend to the couture of the frame. So I took my handy dandy propane torch and started to heart the plastic up. I was able to achieve a slight curve thus fitting the bottom a lot better. After that I removed 4 screws from the bottom of the rig and drilled holes in the new skid plate, lined them up and screwed it in. It was still a little out of line so I took the torch back to it and bent it just a little more.
SO the end result is what you see. I think it will work for now, the biggest gripe I have with it is that the 4 screws that I used to secure it to the truck are not recessed so they stick out just a little. I don't think this will be a problem for now, but it may cause an issue later. Just figured I would post it up here to maybe give someone else an idea if they didn't wanna spend the extra cash on a skid plate and was looking for something temporary.
Any thoughts on the project? Do you guys think that the screws not being recessed will be an issue or not?
PS: I know I need to clean my truck real good, that's tomorrows project :)

Nice plate Noakes..... that is a great plate you made their.. i think your gonna like the plastic, many use the rpm plastic skid plate & love it.. thanks for sharing your work bro!!

Good job, Looks great. You can use the counter sink tool that they use for wood work to flush mount your screws. It should work with plastic. Check lowes or home depot.

Good job, Looks great. You can use the counter sink tool that they use for wood work to flush mount your screws. It should work with plastic. Check lowes or home depot.

Oh, alright. I didn't know if that stuff will work with the plastic b/c of how thin it is. I have some scrap still left over, so I can use that as my test subject.

nice

hey nice work there. looks good.

if yer wantin fairly cheap alum, think of kitchen stuff. don't laff too hard, i'm a cook, so i ordered in some new alum sheet pans, only cost me 7 bux each.

i'll post up my skid on another thread so as to not hijack yours bud.

but, materials are more common than we think sometimes.lol

i'm likin that plastic tho.

Members online

No members online now.
Back