I'm trying to take out my tranny

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinmuff

I'm trying to take out my tranny, to get at the adjustment for the 2nd gear thingy.
so anyway, ive got the whole gear box loose, but i cant take it out because the two "dogbones' i think they are called are still attached, how do i get them off?

well if it don't have a easy access tranny then.
you need to remove one tvp. then when thats removed, the truck should bend a little bend the other tvp out and pull the dogbone out........ also you can remove the set screw on the cup joint. (the front one on the tranny) and slide it back and the dogbone will fall out

well i can take the screws out on the cup joints, and move them, and it does nothing
also, i don't know what u mean by tvp
and it does have a easy access hole, but that adjusts the setting for the 3rd speed
the 2nd speed, u need to go into the tranny box

also, I'm doing all of this because my truck will simply not shift, at all
even if i hold it in the air and floor it, just high revs in 1st
if i make my 2nd gear shift sooner, should this solve my problem u think?

holy crap, that holds everything together, thats gonna be hard, no?
also, what has nothing todo w/ removing the tranny?
do you think my problem will be solved by adjusting the 2nd gear shift point?

transmision.jpg

nevermind, i have found it, but in the manual it says to turn it in from "point A" 4 turns right, but it doesent say if this will give me a quicker shift, or a later one, which way should i turn it?

It's times like these, when you stagger to find out.... just how much you really love this this little marvel, of modern engineering....lol

I have a SavageX with a two speed my manual say counterclockwise for an earlier gear shift clockwise for a later shift. I would imagine like mine you should not adjust the top one (if looking through the adjustment hole on the side of the transmission) and slightly adjust the middle point only in 1/4th increments once you find 2nd gear at a good point......then adjust the bottom one to find 3rd gear. To find the adjustment points with the tranny on the truck. First.....pull the rubber seal of the side of the tranny adjustment hole.....spin the the spur gear until you notice an opening in the adjustment hole.....once you see the opening hold the spur gear in that place.....then slowly turn the tires keeping an eye in the adjustment hole for the adjustment points......as you rotate the tires you should see three adjustment points. Adjust the middle to start. Hope this helps.

Hey this is just a thought kevinmuff I have the same truck My tranny shifts different depending on what clutch bell and spur combo I run this can make a difference Its hppened to me..But as far as witch way to turn it I don't know I have never had to adjust that part on my tranny I liked the way it shifted into 2nd I've only changed the 3rd shift sorry But what COmbo of clutch and spur are you running and how fast are you going at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE..

Hey, I'm not sure what all that stuff is all over the inside of the tranny, looks like oil or water or both, either way all that needs cleaned because that will mess with your shifting.:blah::blah: :blah:

why would that mess with my shifting?
I'm not sure what post your refferencing to here kevmuff, but the reason why the tranny's shift points are subject to the CB/spur setup is because the shift points (if set correctly at the factory) are set to shift for the best proformance of the CB combo thats stock on your truck. When you start changing the spur CB combinations around, you can have difficulty getting a propper shift point to occure in extreme cases. A way to disscribe this is this example: a 13t/52T combo compared to a standard combo like a 17T/47T setup. The 17/47 can turn more revs than a 13/52 sinario. Thereby getting the tranny to turn more revs and ingage the shifts with power to spare. The spring and balls in the gears work just like the springs in the CB setup. The stiffer the spring on the shoe, the more revs per second it takes for thar shoe to ingage the Clutch bell. This is the same principle behind the springs in the gears. The tighter the tention on the springs, the more rpm's it takes to move the ball to the ingagement point and shift that gear. If your having a hard time with the whole setup process, I would reccommend that you go back to factory turns on the gears and return to the stock CB/Spur setup. This will get your shift point reffences back in order. Then, and only then, should you begin to tweak your shift points. Needless to say, getting propper shift points for a radical CB/spur setup is best approached with these principles in mind. They help you determime the logic of the tranny's behavior by it's own design. With the gears: Loosen the spring tension for an earlier shift. Tighten spring tension for a later shift. I hope this helpped.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.
Back