If RPM were to make an extended arm kit would you buy it?

If RPM made an extended arm kit for the savage would you buy it?

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangerRock

Ok guys I want your opinions on this and please VOTE!

If RPM were to make an extended arm kit for the savage would you buy it? Now since RPM doesn't make metal products they would have to find a dogbone that would work but we would have to buy it separately. Please post your thoughts on this....

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it as simple as an upper and lower extensions? Wouldn't we require longer tie-rods as well? What does FLM use on their extended control arms? I'd definitely order a set if they kept the pricing on the arms under $20 a corner for the arms. I think this would be an expensive upgrade though.
4 arm sets at $20 a piece.
4 dog-bones, 8-12 a piece.
2 or 4 longer tie-rods depending on your suspension. Definitely looking at 125-135 range.
JMHO
JP

I'm pretty sure you're gonna get alot of yes's for this. I would love to extend the width of my Savy, but I'm pretty sure I would destroy the aluminum ones so I have never purchased them. If you have an inside view on RPM doing something like this, tell us about it.

FLM also gives you longer upper arms I believe but that is nothing they can't make either.......

Tie rods would be pretty simple IMO

This is some emails between me and RPM.

ME: "Hello,
I have a HPI Savage and I love bashing and I am also a racer. I have ran your arms on my savage for quite some time now but I would LOVE to see an extended arm made....Something to make it about an inch or 2 wider would be awesome.

Thanks!"

RPM's Response: "
Thank you for your confidence in RPM products. We try our best to make the most rugged and durable products and at reasonable prices and it is always a pleasure to hear from end users such as yourself that appreciate the efforts we place into each and every part we build. Thank you for noticing!
With respect to longer suspension arms for your Savage, I'm afraid it is unlikely at this time that we will build any additional arms for that truck. The main problem there is that we're a molding facility and we don't make metal parts. For longer arms to work, we would need to include longer axles. Since we don't build metal parts, we would have to seek an outside vendor which would increase costs dramatically and we don't want to do that. I hope you understand our position on this subject.
Take care and thank you for your interest and support of RPM products. If you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to send us another e-mail."

ME: "Thank you for your reply. Just as a thought, I know that if you could happen to find a dogbone that is long enough and fits the savage drivecups that I would be willing to purchase them seperate. Maybe I could get a poll going on the forum I am on just to see what kind of interest would be in them even if we had to buy the dogbones seperate? Again I understand the fact you don't make metal products, I just don't like putting metal a arms on a truck, one hit and they are bent and I find them to be way too heavy to do any good IMO. Thanks again for the response, look forward to hearing back from you."

RPM's Response: " I'm afraid the chances of us building extended a-arms are pretty much non-existent. Your offer to poll the Savage community is quite generous and we appreciate your enthusiasm for the project but based on past performance of offering products in an incomplete manner as you suggest was not fruitful so I'm afraid we will have to respectfully decline that offer. I sincerely apologize for not being able to help but if we've done projects like that in the past and the venture was unsuccessful, I'm sure you can understand why we would be so reluctant for future projects.
Take care and please let me know if there is anything more I can do for you."

I agree, tie-rods are probably the easiest piece to find for this upgrade. But it is an added cost that needs to be brought into consideration.

RPM isn't willing to move on this one. Too bad, I'm sure this site alone would make it worth while for them to produce them.

Yeah, I am going to see how this goes and if it does good link them to it.

I sure hope we can send them a link to this thread and they will change there mind. I know I would purchase at least 2 sets of these and like X said above this will be a YES thread.

We need to remember that we as a community are only a small part of the Savage owners. There are lots out there which aren't apart of this great Forum which is the best savage forum I have ever been to. It definitely stands out as one of a kind.

The tie-rods are easy to come up with and I wouldn't expect that to be included in the kit at all. If the kit included the RPM Extended A-arms and the dog bones. I would also rather see them make the kit as a set of 2 and maybe a set of 4. There may be some reason people would use them on just the front or just the rear or purchase a second set just to have around as a spair. They would also need to have the Dogs available separately. I'm sure if they contacted FLM they would either supply there 1/2" extended ones or make them at a custom length for them.

I as a owner and maker of parts have worked directly with FLM on dog's.

I think this would be a great product for them to make and carry. They would definitely sell and they would make more than enough to pay for there tooling and internal costs going forward with this. Lots of people look for extended a-arms and there only option is FLM at this point.

GO FOR IT RPM!!!

Yeah they don't want to outsource parts because of the costs, but in my first posts I said that we would have to buy them separately if they found one the right length, we would just have to buy them from another site or something, or talk RPM into getting them to outsource the parts.

The bone would have to be 136mm long from center of cross pin to center of cross pin, so long as the arm was right at 1/2" longer.

Otherwise better yet they could talk to HPI who I'm sure would work a deal with them and make the arm 3/4" of an inch longer on each side and use the HPI Savage XL Center rear Dog http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUWJ2&P=7 at 142mm.

^ That was my first thought too, the XL rear bone. It's 1mm smaller in diameter too though.

I think there would be more chance to convince HPI to offer a wide arm set complete with bones but considering the spacer thing they did with the XL, maybe not...

OH - and who the heck voted NO? :stickspank:

I did...no need to get uptight about someone giving an honest answer. I will never be interested in extending the arms on my Savages...plain and simple. :resp:

It'd be nice to have for a lot of folks, but that's not an upgrade I'm particularly interested in.

I looked up the FLM kit last night and the cost was an eye-opener!

Oh - I'm not uptight at all. I viewed it as an amusing emoticon..

mebbe I'm too new here for that kind of levity :smilieflush:

^ That was my first thought too, the XL rear bone. It's 1mm smaller in diameter too though.

I think there would be more chance to convince HPI to offer a wide arm set complete with bones but considering the spacer thing they did with the XL, maybe not...

I voted no first. :resp:

Simply put there is no need to extend the arms with all the offset rim possibilities already on the market. With the stock upper arm location, the savages roll center is already horrible. This will only make it worse.

Oh - I'm not uptight at all. I viewed it as an amusing emoticon..

mebbe I'm too new here for that kind of levity :smilieflush:
LOL its all good!!! Feel free to speak your mind at any time! As long as it stays G rated you have the freedom of speech.

Also welcome to the forum

If they did the extended arms they would have to have shock mountings for the LST shocks and also a different rear setup which disposed of the rear toe links completely and I would be onto that in a flash. Even standard length arms with LST mount points and no rear toe link and I would buy it in a flash. This would require a new hub carrier like the alloy HPI ones but in plastic, yum.

I voted no because I would not pull my Flextek arms off for nothing.

RPM arms are soft and make your suspension sloppy compared to the Flextek ones and extending them would only make them sloppier.

if RPM amde it, then it would be awesome, but i don't know about the whole finding the dogbones to fit, i think maybe they should research that and at least let you know what fits

Well they responded back that it will pretty much never happen because they are a molding facility and don't deal with metal parts....

Well they responded back that it will pretty much never happen because they are a molding facility and don't deal with metal parts....

Sadly they are very narrow minded. As was mentioned before as long as they can recommend a good dog bone to use with it then it wouldn't even be an issue.

Latest posts

Members online

Back