if i spin a spur gear and look at it from above, is it supposed to spin with 0 movement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

hi i just changed the spur gear on my savage x, when i put the new slipper grip pad on i made sure it was flat as best as i could. i tightened it up, when i spin the spur gear and look at it from above, it is moving in a circle with no binding but when i look from the top to the bottom, it looks like it has some side to side leeway, like it looks like it kinda has some play side to side, however when i feel it and try to push it side to side, it doesnt seem like theres any play and it feels good to go. is this normal? i tried to explain to the best of my ability

thx!

hi i just changed the spur gear on my savage x, when i put the new slipper grip pad on i made sure it was flat as best as i could. i tightened it up, when i spin the spur gear and look at it from above, it is moving in a circle with no binding but when i look from the top to the bottom, it looks like it has some side to side leeway, like it looks like it kinda has some play side to side, however when i feel it and try to push it side to side, it doesnt seem like theres any play and it feels good to go. is this normal? i tried to explain to the best of my ability

thx!
You explained it well😂
Yes it does move little bit sideways, and I think its normal because i have 2 almost new savages with 3speed gearbox's & a flux gearbox & all of them do the same, first time I noticed was when I changed the spur gear to smaller fir top speed, so I tried to make it straight and checked the others and all of them are the same even when i put back the old spur, just make sure its the spur not the shaft what causing it and enjoy it👍🏼

Latest posts

Members online

Back