Idiots guide to shocks. Hmmmm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesox_68

OK so being the noob I am can some one give me a good definition about the shocks I have on my flux and what oil does in terms of stock to different grades? Is it normal for some leakage? I know there are lots of info on them but none are dumbed down enough for me lol. I will be getting the rsc soon but I want to have a good set up in the mean time. I bash but nothing crazy. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
If your shocks are leaking, something is causing the leak. Check/replace the O rings first. Check for cracks in the shock body. Is the shock cap on tight ? Did you overfill the shocks with oil ? If they are overfilled, the pressure has to go somewhere.

well everything is stock and i haven't replaced anything yet but i will look for carcks.

sometimes with nylon shocks they might leak from where they were attached to the parts tree and some will pass threw the bottom o ring from the shock shaft moving but deffinitely check the o rings on the cap and on the bottom of the shock. all the oil does is help with how fast the shock fully extends and compresses and also help with sopping up the rough ground and landings.

OK so being the noob I am can some one give me a good deffinition about the shocks I have on my flux and what oil does in terms of stock to different grades? I bash but nothing crazy. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

I have the big bores (HPI # A720) very similar to yours. Running 30 wgt shock oil (i, like you, bash). I like the 30 wgt, its nice for running & landings.

Is it normal for some leakage?

the short answer here is "yes" its normal. shocks need maintanance. over time the oil leaks out, it will not remain full forever.

Now, how quickly is the oil leaking out of your shocks? if it is very quick, then it points to another problem like Tarnish said, O-rings, caps, etc.

I run the 30 wt oil in the threaded bodied HPI aluminum shocks. They are the same size as the stock plastic ones. That oil works great for me. I do however, have the benefit of the threaded bodies so I can make small changes to my shock tension without much trouble.

Experment with different oils till you get one you like how it handles thinners more springy thickera more slow n slugush I can't tell ya what to put in I'm cause I use hill billy oils every thing in the kitchen but peanut butter lol some my threads have shock oils you can use and how to mod them. Can't link ya cause I'm on my phn and I'm noob to the phn thing lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back