I Want to Build a savy XL SS!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmind

Hello all,

Sorry for the confusing title, but I'm getting back into the hobby (AGAIN) now that my kids are of age. Anyways, I see that HPI released the X in an SS Kit version. But they never release an SS kit for the XL model. I still have my original Savage SS. But wanted to build a new one with my kids. Here is the main question, would it be completely dumb to buy the X SS kit, then purchase the XL TVPs, and 3 speed tranny? To get something close to a XL SS type kit.

I have googled and googled the differences between the X and XL and i can't seem to find the answer to my next question, that is, how does the XL get a "wider" stance? Aren't the a-arm the same size in the X kits?

If my idea is not such a barbaric sin, what else should I get for the new build? What are the best options for Shocks these days? Are we still lovin' the LST2 shocks these days? Or better options?

Thanks for the time and help,
Nick

Welcome back to the hobby!

If you buy an X SS you will get most of the upgraded components (the ones that matter anyway) that come with the XL. The wider stance is because of axle spacers:
https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/86249
I'm not a big fan of doing that though as it can put more stress on your hub bearings. I would do wheels with offset if you want a wider stance.

If you want extended/lower CG TVPs I would go with either Fast Lane Machines (FLM) or Innovative RC. Both make fantastic TVPs and alot of other cool supporting pieces. LST shocks are great, but can be costly. Innovative RC makes a nice mounting kit for those. I have that kit/shocks and I have no issues with it.

It's a good idea, I think you'll have fun with it. Let us know what direction you go and we can help point out other good mods.

Thanks X for the reply and I got my answer. I also agree with you, i wouldn't use those spacers (For the love of god, WHY Purple?). I was just curious.

If you want extended/lower CG TVPs I would go with either Fast Lane Machines (FLM) or Innovative RC. Both make fantastic TVPs and alot of other cool supporting pieces. LST shocks are great, but can be costly. Innovative RC makes a nice mounting kit for those. I have that kit/shocks and I have no issues with it.

I have purchased FLM chassis for my all metal Savy years ago. I really did like that chassis a lot. So your suggestion would be to do FLM instead of the HPI XL chassis?

I used the FLM LST2 mounts in the past, worked great. Other then the LST2 shocks, what would all your suggestions be for shocks?

like I said, the stock 4 shock setup is great. I belive u can gat them in alum. if u want, although I wouldn't recremend it

I say IRC or FLM chassis because of their build quality as well as the variety of hop up parts that are available for them. Both IRC and FLM make great midtank setups for instance. LST shocks are great and in my mind worth the cost. Other people are more cost sensitive and because of that HPI's big bores are a very popular choice.

I don't have an xl but I think there might be other parts that are different like center driveshafts. Save the money on shocks, sell the 4.6 motor on ebay while its still new, and get a bigger motor too. I agree that building them is a lot more fun! Let us know what other parts you needed. I would like to do the same thing someday.

I don't have an xl but I think there might be other parts that are different like center driveshafts. Save the money on shocks, sell the 4.6 motor on ebay while its still new, and get a bigger motor too. I agree that building them is a lot more fun! Let us know what other parts you needed. I would like to do the same thing someday.

It looks like from the reading i have done. All I would need is to get my hands on XL CHASSIS CONVERSION SET. Although it looks discontinued. :( So maybe FLM is the way to go. But looks like its only TVP, engine mount plate, and the extended drive shafts.

As far as the motor, I just may. I'm for sure going this route. Just a few days away from buying X SS kit. a 3-speed tranny is on the way.

There you go, nice find woodie. I guess there are a couple more parts needed.

I just broke my Savage 25 out of storage and was thinking of doing the same thing... Then came to the conclusion with so many of the old kludged mods on it... I'd be way ahead just to get a new X... While I still can..

I have the LST shocks and love em, only paid 50 bucks back when the LST was new... I also have other weird things like an MGT tank and MP servo saver hahaha..

Back in the day the hot setup was Big Bores and RCBoyz triple rate springs, if not the LST shocks.

Members online

No members online now.
Back