I had an idea, motor dynometer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chronic

I had an idea, motor dynamometer?

I've read lots of threads about diy dynos, and most seemed to vere off getting technical losing sight of a project that would show visible gains. And then I did find an actual rc dyno you plop your trucks or cars on. But yeah... 1700us doesn't fly.

I was thinking if I just bolted my motor to an aluminum plat form and geared it to an electric motor. I could just hook up a multi meter so I saw numbers showing a representation of the power my motor makes.

But then those are just numbers in correlation to ...some rpm? Then I remembered seeing fairly cheap hand held digital tachometers from princess auto a while back.
So perfect, an increase in voltage to an rpm. But then the voltage just increases with engine speed. And that would be a pretty narrow test.

Buddy said, machine a steel or aluminum drum. Something you can bolt to the electric motor. A weight the motors torque will have to over come. Or burn the clutch shoes out on. I thought thats pretty good too.

Then I had another idea, I could gear the two motors to introduce another load on the nitro, I have a spare transmission!

lots of ideas, all seem easy enough to try. Its winter, I can't ride or play with my car. So might as well get techy on the truck.

Any ideas you guys have? I know this is a narrow minded experiment showing power. I have no intentions of trying to calculate hp or tq. I just thought it would be cool having something to actually show increases .. or decreases in power.
Do you think it would be more useful actually making a stand the whole truck sits on so you can account for drivetrain loss, and drag on the wheels rather than just measuring the motor. Of course that would be the easiest.
Its a possible project. I wanted to hang my self at work today, so I starting thinking of better things.

Last edited by a moderator:
seein as how you mention p.a. i been thinkin along the same lines a bit, but more of the stand for it, not the technical side(aint figgred that out yet)lol.

at p.a. you see the rollers you can make tool stands out of, right? like you would use at a tablesaw. now i was thinkin on a set of four of these rollers, so the fronts and rears actually each sit on two rollers.

dunno, i'm workin on the idea. i know you can also get cheapo outfeed rollers at crappy tire too. if you have a peavey mart nearby, thy're even cheaper usually.

Wow i'm retarded, I always thought it was dynometer, not dynamometer :duh:

Anyway, I found a perfect example of what I'm talking about.
motordyno.JPG

Only with a nitro motor of course.

Rollers definitely would be a good approach since you would measure what you're putting to the ground after all the drivetrain loses.

I might try this first though... jsut for the ease of things. I get distracted easily. I still have conflicted thoughts about some things, but this looks like an alright little project.

Latest posts

Members online

Back