Hpi's new savage ss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPI OCT RELEASES said:
SAVAGE X SS K5.9 KIT W/ NITRO GT-2 TRUCK BODY

The Savage X SS is now available with the huge K5.9 engine. The powerful Nitro Star K5.9 engine comes from the Savage XL truck where it has proven to deliver massive power, bolting it into a smaller and lighter truck means it will have an even higher horsepower-to-weight ratio! The KAn anodized billet aluminum head keeps it cool during extreme off-road driving, and standard features include true ABC construction using a long-life chromed sleeve, a composite carburetor for high performance and improved high temperature tuning, and a pullstarter for easy starting. The engine is mated to a high performance polished tuned pipe and high flow tube header to help maximize power output.

The drivetrain is equipped to handle the K5.9 power. Critical parts from extra-tough Savage Flux drivetrain have been added, including #86246 Super Heavy Duty Drive Shafts, #86928 Super Heavy Duty Axles, #86248 Super Heavy Duty Diff Shafts, and #102692 Machined Bulletproof Diff Bevel Gear Set. Cast alloy differential cups with steel pin guides are standard on the front and rear of the truck, delivering unmatched durability and extending the standard maintenance interval of the diffs. All of the internal diff gears are shimmed for precise mesh, and we even shim the outdrive bearings and input shafts for extra precision. And, we include a hardened steel spur gear with a matching ventilated "racing" clutchbell for the ultimate in drivetrain strength, right out of the box.

Following the tradition of past SS models, the Savage X SS is one of the few build-it-yourself monster truck kits on the market, aimed at R/C enthusiasts who enjoy the process of building and customizing their truck. Standard equipment includes the powerful K5.9 (5.9cc/.36 cubic inch) engine with pullstarter, clear body, along with an exciting list of new features and updates that make the Savage X SS capable of handling the toughest beating you can throw at it.

Nitro Star K5.9 Engine

High torque K5.9 engine delivers massive power.

Clear Nitro GT-2 Body

Supplied with a clear body so you can add your own custom paint job. Window masks and pre-cut decals are included.
High Performance Polished Tuned Pipe
Dual chamber design for higher top speed and wide power band.

Dirt Bonz Tires

40% lighter than the GT Truck Tires for more speed, soft and sticky S-compound rubber for high traction on dirt surfaces.

Front and Rear Skidplate Bumpers

Realistic skidplate bumpers made of high impact nylon look great and minimize crash damage.

Cam Type Servo Saver

Adjustable design allows precise tuning for optimal steering response and extra servo gear protection.

Dual Disc Brake

Stainless steel, drilled disc brakes provide serious stopping power, enough to do "brakies" on command.

4-Gear Differentials

For increased drivetrain durability as well as extended time between maintenance.

Super Heavy Duty Diff Shafts and Cup Joints

Hardened for extra strength and to lengthen the time between re-builds.

Super Heavy Duty Dogbones

A powerful engine requires a heavy duty drivetrain for durability. We've got you covered with heavy duty dogbones, diff shafts and cup joints.

2 Speed!

Adjustable 2 speed transmission with heavy-duty metal internal gears for durability, bottom end punch and high top speed. Adjustable slipper clutch for drivetrain protection.

Adjustable Upper Arms

Turnbuckles allow easy adjustability of the suspension geometry for improved handling and performance.

Easy Maintenance!

Quick access to the front or rear differential by removing six screws.

Redesigned Radio Box

New radio box with extra room for electronics, includes provisions for an external battery level indicator and an optional charging jack. Easy-to-use design eliminates the need for clips.

Easier To Work On!

The center gearbox can be accessed without removing the chassis plates. Just remove six screws and the top case lifts off for quick and easy transmission maintenance.

Low CG TVP chassis

The new chassis design lowers the center of gravity for stable handling and faster lap times.

Lightweight suspension arms

New lightweight suspension arms deliver quick suspension response and reduce overall truck weight.

More Adjustability

Adjustable turnbuckles allow you to make quick and easy suspension adjustments. New shock towers have three different shock mounting positions for a variety of suspension setups.

Chrome Warlock wheels with tough 17mm hex hubs

Large 17mm metal alloy hex hubs hold the wheels securely and prevent stripping.

Fully Compatible

Compatible with most existing Savage option parts.

Machined Head

Billet aluminum heat sink for better cooling and durability. Machined cut-outs for convenient access to mounting screws for easy disassembly.

Durable Finned Aluminum Crankcase

Cast aluminum crankcase is designed for maximum durability and heat dissipation with numerous heat sink fins.

Heavy Duty 3 Shoe Clutch System

The 3 shoe clutch system paired with the massive K5.9 engine gives you the power to do wheelies on command!

ABC Construction

The K5.9 engine features true ABC (Aluminum, Brass, & Chrome) construction - the ultimate in strength, durability, and high performance.

Innovative Dual Stage Air Filter Design

The "High Flow" Dual Stage Air Filter dramatically reduces intake restriction as it smoothes and straightens air flow. More air means more usable power and acceleration throughout the engine's rpm range. The innovative design also offers unprecedented protection from dirt and dust.

#104284 SAVAGE X SS K5.9 KIT W/ NITRO GT-2 TRUCK BODY $949.00

That price has to be wrong why would someone spend that much on a truck that is worse than the standard xss?
5.9 is far worse than the 4.6 and the stainless steal breaks have issues although I personaly have never had an issue with mine others here have had a ton of problems.

It is alot of money yea, i didnt realize it was that much, lookin at it its just the same XSS with a 5.9, SHD drivetrain and bulletproof diffs, you'd be better of with the old SS and changing the drivetrain and diffs if you wanted SHD?

You guys thats probably just a suggested retail price. . . I highly doubt they will sell for that.

Doesn't the standard RTR X 4.6 retail for $6-700?

yea the XL's was over 1200. But why o why do they not listen to their customers? 5.9 in a X?? I rather a push toy...

They should have just updated the old XSS, kept the K4.6 in it and SHD'd the drivetrain, SHD and bulletproof diffs should be standard in all Savages now i think, iv not broken anything since iv been on them.

Big bores would have been a nice touch too to justify the extra MSRP.

imho they are sort of wasting our time with this one cuz its not impressive and it looks cobled together with that big paper weight of a mill. at most the best they could have done with it(from HPI) is put the new "bullet-proof" diffs with the xl bones/cups. this is not intended to offend anyone this just my take on how they "over-shot" this one. if they want to add a "new" feature to it why cant they add a better radio or even a better tank design at the least?.

They should have just updated the old XSS, kept the K4.6 in it and SHD'd the drivetrain, SHD and bulletproof diffs should be standard in all Savages now i think, iv not broken anything since iv been on them.

Big bores would have been a nice touch too to justify the extra MSRP.

:10: You nailed it on the head ! +1

imho they are sort of wasting our time with this one cuz its not impressive and it looks cobled together with that big paper weight of a mill. at most the best they could have done with it(from HPI) is put the new "bullet-proof" diffs with the xl bones/cups. this is not intended to offend anyone this just my take on how they "over-shot" this one. if they want to add a "new" feature to it why cant they add a better radio or even a better tank design at the least?.
Wild you have been taken off Noob status with this statement! Spoken like a savage guru....

lol

I will take the 5.9 over a push toy~

but, imo either HPI .28's are perfect for the SS

:punkrock:

Gotta love Bling...

Last edited by a moderator:
oh i think they just make it worse with the k5.9 i'v just tried the 5.9 on my RTR X with some other upgreads and it's a junk the f4.6 is better than it.....
i think they should make that upgreads (without the k5.9) and relocating the fuel tank will be sweet

I can get the old ss kit here in Canada for$397.00 upgrade the rest of the parts and still be way under $1000 for the price of the new kit I would rather spend the extra for a baja!!but i would pay $500 for the new kit scrap that 5.9 and throw in a 4.6 ho....will be a next project after finishing my mid tank....ty Ducman for the winter project!!!

I would have liked to see them put
1.Aluminum Big Bores
2.Aluminum motor mount heatsink
3.Xl chassis
4.Aluminum heatsink motor plate
5.Hpi suspention conversion
6.3 speed

to me that is an ss i would buy

I don't really care to be honest with you on this one I am not obligated to buy it so doesn't matter to me. To be honest I would never buy another RTR savage or even kit. I like most who end up doing a second savage would just buy it piece by piece getting only the parts I want. There isn't much point to buying a truck that you are only going to use the trans bulkheads and axles/bones off of and through the rest in a box never to be seen again.

That being said this is sure to attract the new comers to the hobby who assume bigger is better. Why to go HPI on making a Truck that grabs the attention of the New guys. Keeping new guys coming in is what it is all about with the RTR's and even Kits HPI puts out anyway. Looks like a truck that would look great under any christmas tree.

its not worth it. all they did was add super hd bonz and outdrives and throw a 5.9 in it, other than that theres no difference from the old x ss which you could have gotten for less than 350

I like most who end up doing a second savage would just buy it piece by piece getting only the parts I want. There isn't much point to buying a truck that you are only going to use the trans bulkheads and axles/bones off of and through the rest in a box never to be seen again.

That being said this is sure to attract the new comers to the hobby who assume bigger is better. Why to go HPI on making a Truck that grabs the attention of the New guys. Keeping new guys coming in is what it is all about with the RTR's and even Kits HPI puts out anyway. Looks like a truck that would look great under any christmas tree.

do you work for hpi? you just hit the nail on the head. a company as huge as hpi needs to sell a ton of product to survive.

so, come out with parts your hard-core market segment wants (bullet-proof diffs) & also go after noobs with this truck.

thats just good business on hpi's part.

That is a bit much. just change up some gear and drop in a 5.9 and your done, I thought about doin a 5.9 in mine but the 5.9 has a bit a problems so i'll stick with the 4.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pope NJ
I like most who end up doing a second savage would just buy it piece by piece getting only the parts I want. There isn't much point to buying a truck that you are only going to use the trans bulkheads and axles/bones off of and through the rest in a box never to be seen again.

do you work for hpi? you just hit the nail on the head. a company as huge as hpi needs to sell a ton of product to survive.

so, come out with parts your hard-core market segment wants (bullet-proof diffs) & also go after noobs with this truck.

thats just good business on hpi's part.

I can't imagine that their intent is to "go after noobs" with any of their kits.

ikesavage That is a bit much. just change up some gear and drop in a 5.9 and your done, I thought about doin a 5.9 in mine but the 5.9 has a bit a problems so i'll stick with the 4.6

Here is the issue, you thought, but you didn't actually do. How do you know the 5.9 has problems. In my opinion they made a great 4.6, so why would they fail on the 5.9? Maybe you think they make a bad 5.9 because of things you have heard on the internet much like the comment above, which is not a first hand account but rather an opinion based on the authors experience with reading similar comments on the internet. You may say "thats not true, I have read many first hand experiences with the engine", but if you really think about it you may realize that out of the 15 stories you read only 2 were from people who actually ran the engine.

Personally I think the reason for the bad rep is because the engine was debuted in the XL RTR truck. The XL was obviously a ploy to attract noobs, as previously mentioned people tend to think bigger is better... so combine that with RTR and you have an instant winner with noobs. As we all know, mastering the nitro engine is not exactly something everyone is capable of. So basically you could say that almost all first hand accounts of using the 5.9have been in the savage XL stock RTR truck being operated by a noob.

The 4.6 was also in the RTR, BUT it is also found in many other vehicles and kits not typically purchased by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. Plus there are just way more 4.6's in circulation being used. I remember way back when I bought my first ss with 4.6 people were saying the 4.6 was bad, all it took was a matter of time for the experienced people to prove that rumor to be false.

I went ahead and ordered one of these SS5.9's. I think it will be a good platform for me to start back into the game with. It was $486 w/ a screwz set, shipped from tower after a promotional discount. On stormer it is $440 versus the ss4.6 from stormer, which is the cheapest place I have seen it, at$300 (however they do not have and will not have these anymore due to the release of the ss5.9). So there is a difference of $140. You can sell the 5.9 for enough to easily buy the 4.6 (if you really wanted to) so that is a mute point. I think you will find that purchasing a new set of bulletproof diffs, super heavy duty driveshafts, axles, and diff outdrives (which all seem to be valuable modifications, based soley on other opinions I have read on the internet), for less than $140 may be difficult? Plus when you factor in the 5.9's resale value is more than the 4.6's then that closes the gap even more.

I haven't really compared the value versus any of the RTR savages available, however I would imagine you may get more for your money with a savage x rtr?? but for the guys who want to build their own that is really irrelavent anyway :)

Once I throw it all together I will let ya'll know a true first hand experience with the 5.9... you may even see some pics of me taking the podium with it a few times, haha!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

I too would have liked to see some aluminum big bores with the kit (got a flux drivetrain, might as well get flux shocks, haha), but I think that the price is justified without them :-(

great points ct

the only negative thing Ive heard about the 5.9 was the power delivary

most guys new to the game expected it to out run the .28's

In the rite hands the 5.9 can be modded to perform like it should

welcome to the forum ct

I can't imagine that their intent is to "go after noobs" with any of their kits.

Here is the issue, you thought, but you didn't actually do. How do you know the 5.9 has problems. In my opinion they made a great 4.6, so why would they fail on the 5.9? Maybe you think they make a bad 5.9 because of things you have heard on the internet much like the comment above, which is not a first hand account but rather an opinion based on the authors experience with reading similar comments on the internet. You may say "thats not true, I have read many first hand experiences with the engine", but if you really think about it you may realize that out of the 15 stories you read only 2 were from people who actually ran the engine.

Personally I think the reason for the bad rep is because the engine was debuted in the XL RTR truck. The XL was obviously a ploy to attract noobs, as previously mentioned people tend to think bigger is better... so combine that with RTR and you have an instant winner with noobs. As we all know, mastering the nitro engine is not exactly something everyone is capable of. So basically you could say that almost all first hand accounts of using the 5.9have been in the savage XL stock RTR truck being operated by a noob.

The 4.6 was also in the RTR, BUT it is also found in many other vehicles and kits not typically purchased by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. Plus there are just way more 4.6's in circulation being used. I remember way back when I bought my first ss with 4.6 people were saying the 4.6 was bad, all it took was a matter of time for the experienced people to prove that rumor to be false.

I went ahead and ordered one of these SS5.9's. I think it will be a good platform for me to start back into the game with. It was $486 w/ a screwz set, shipped from tower after a promotional discount. On stormer it is $440 versus the ss4.6 from stormer, which is the cheapest place I have seen it, at$300 (however they do not have and will not have these anymore due to the release of the ss5.9). So there is a difference of $140. You can sell the 5.9 for enough to easily buy the 4.6 (if you really wanted to) so that is a mute point. I think you will find that purchasing a new set of bulletproof diffs, super heavy duty driveshafts, axles, and diff outdrives (which all seem to be valuable modifications, based soley on other opinions I have read on the internet), for less than $140 may be difficult? Plus when you factor in the 5.9's resale value is more than the 4.6's then that closes the gap even more.

I haven't really compared the value versus any of the RTR savages available, however I would imagine you may get more for your money with a savage x rtr?? but for the guys who want to build their own that is really irrelavent anyway :)

Once I throw it all together I will let ya'll know a true first hand experience with the 5.9... you may even see some pics of me taking the podium with it a few times, haha!

i just noticed this was your first post so thought i would take the time to welcome you to the forum.........

Latest posts

Members online

Back