HPI steering upgrade kit review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the bearings in your steering post and Saver is a very smart up-grade. When I first got my truck a couple of years ago I just took for granit that the bearings would be there. It just made sence. But as time went on and the crashes started getting more advanced. I started to think "WOW What a money pit".

Now I'm just happy to get it runnin and have a killer session for a weekend. Yeah I still like mods and such I just try to plan it out more. Not just jump at what ever I see that is sparkeling and Aluminum....lol (been there done that)..

Fxstrongside has a steering mod...(I think..it was Fx) Its been ahile sence I've been here. So help me out Fx...lol....Anyway he cuts away some of the outer wheel carrier to allow more travel..And I thought it was a Smart up-grade. So after all that; yes to the bearing up-grade.. And hi to the people I don't know..

Last edited:
Ok, so the steering post/saver are a NEEDED bearing upgrade... how about the rest of the RTR? Do I need to purchase an entire bearing kit for my Savage or is the steering post/saver all that really needs new bearings?

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

In my opinion, just the steering bushings need to be replaced with bearings. The rest should be fine from the factory.

Exactly which version do you need, Dreadnaught? I'll see when we can have it in stock.

well. as far as i see, you guys only carry the modded version, with a pull start. id like an unmodded verson, seeing as i don't have the money to cover that and some of the other things id like to put on the savvy at the same time.

srry for the hijack!

pm me doesgo, that way we don't get yelled at!

doesgo thanks a bunch those bearings work great.For the money i don't think you can beat this upgrade, night and day difference

I got mine, and installed. Didnt make a HUGE difference for me, but my truck still almost has that new car smell. It was noticeable though, and I wish I had done it on my savage 25 that I used to have.

I did this upgrade when I installed my new steering servo so my steering increased dramatically, but I can't tell you how much each helped alone.

I'm in the process of doing this also. Thanks for the review. There may or may not be a huge difference, but it still would be better than those plastic bushings.

i noticed a bit of a difference in mine. i haven't had it out to run, but it turns the tires on my glass work table easier than it did before the bearings.

Do most of you recomend this kit or just by the right size bearings online?

The kit is just standard bearings. Nothing special. But better than the plastic.

So I doubt the kit is any better than the correct sized bearings from somewhere else.

i just did the bearings and it works well enough that i don't see the need for the rest of the kit .

The kit they're referring to is the HPI #B045 "Steering Upgrade Set" which contains four 6x10x3mm steering post bearings and usually sells for over $10.

Latest posts

Members online

Back