HPI steering upgrade kit review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lifter37

HPI steering upgrade kit review by lifter37
www.hpiracing.com
b045_01s.jpg

HPI has made a nice steering upgrade kit (part# B045) which consists of 4 metal shielded ball bearings 6x10x3mm. They take the place of 4 nylon bushings on the steering servo saver set. I did the test on my savage 4.6 RTR which is fairly new. When I took the bushings out, one of them had already cut a bevel on the outside edge. This was the cause of my steering to fade when I turned to the left. When I put the new bearings in, it was like night and day. I could turn the wheels a lot easier than before with a lot less drag. I would think it would also save on the life of your steering servo. When racing or bashing, you definitely want good steering response. For the price, which is 15.00, I would have to say it is probably dollar for dollar one of the best upgrades you can get.
hpisusp.build006-1.jpg

I did get a chance to run on the track today. The steering response was alot quicker and smoother with the new bearings versus the stock nylon bushings. Definitely a thumbs up on the steering upgrade kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a good upgrade. My advise is to do it earlier rather then later. I pulled my steering apart to replace my radio box to find those bushings to be very warn. I got the bearings and found they didn't fit to well as the area the bushings were in had worn badly. A very worth while upgrade and an often forgotten about one. I didn't even know there wasn't already bearings in there.

Smf had the same bearings for $1.00 per bearing .. Changed to bearings along time ago.. its nice

I agree, I think alot of people take for granted that there should be bearings where the bushings are. definitely learned something on this upgrade.

I just installed these bearings a week or so ago, wish I would have seen your post sJ, I spent a fortun on these from HPI, wish I would have used my brain, oh well I didn't know the size anyway, how's that for an excuse.

anyway they are nice.

John

love this idea i am having trouble with turning da wheels all da way i might get some bearings from cbc thanx for da idea

Definitely a worthwhile upgrade! After only a few tanks on my new Savage 21, my plastic bushings were binding up something awful (back in the spring of 2003!). I switched to bearings and never looked back. MAJOR improvement! And since you can get them for $1.00 or less each from SMF or Avid or others, why not?

I was looking at buying these bearings from SMF and noticed the only ones the correct size (6x10x3mm) are Rubber-Sealed were the ones in the HPI Kit are Metal-Sealed. Will the rubber sealed ones wear out faster or should I be concerned with this difference?

I was looking at buying these bearings from SMF and noticed the only ones the correct size (6x10x3mm) are Rubber-Sealed were the ones in the HPI Kit are Metal-Sealed. Will the rubber sealed ones wear out faster or should I be concerned with this difference?

Nah, if anything they may last longer.

Rubber seals keep the dirt out better than the metal shields. They offer an ever-so-slight amount of additional friction, but in steering you won't notice it. Not much dirt should get into the steering posts to affect the bearings, though.

SMF I have ordered thousands from SMF they are the best. No that wasn't a typo, I said thousands.

I agree with doesgo. Whether you use rubber or metal shielded bearings they are in a pretty consealed place where you should not get a lot of dirt. Plus either ones should last a very long time because they are not being used no where near as much as compared to your drive bearings like the diff bearings or the clutchbell bearings.

With this being a very easy and cost effective upgrade, I gave it a try. I snatched the wheel bearings out of my Mini Quake (talk about luck, no parts to order) While my bushings weren't beveled, they did have some rough spots on them that may have caused some drag that mas messing with my steering. Now with the bearings installed the steering just glides from left to right.

I don't think I would be willing to pay HPI's price for the upgrade. I found the Mini Quake's bearings to be a match and researched it further on Tower Hobbies and found a much cheaper solution thatn even buying MQ bearings. $5 and some change for all 4 bearings sounds like the ticket for me. Same results at a fraction of the cost.

Its crazy, I talk to so many people who have never heard of it or even thought about it. But in actuality, I was the same way. I upgraded everything before the bearings, you know all the cool stuff first. I came to realize you have to look at the little things to for all out perfomance. When I put the bearings in, the next week on the track they really showed the difference. Even at the hpi price it is still an awesome upgrade.

hey i'm a newbie and i was just wondering how did you get to the steering saver and how hard is it to do this upgrade. thanks for your help.

Its about a 20 min job. You need to remove the front bottom skid. turn the steering from side to side and remove the screw to the cross link and slide it out. Then switch the bushings for bearings and replace everything. Your now good to go and will be a much happer man/female.

windjammr, you're aware there are four bushings in the steering that need to be replaced with four bearings, correct?

n0 i didnt i only ordered two,do you have a phone number i can call to get them all shipped together?

just changed mine acouple of weeks ago and blazer got em for a few bucks for mebut once i put them in i couldnt believe the difference! my truck has never been able to turn sitting still until now.I was gonna replace my steering servo thinking it was probably worn out but this was the best money ive spent in a while.

for the money and time and effort, this is one of the best upgrades out there! four dollars, twenty minutes, and results make it worth it ten fold.

Thanks SDMorris! The'll be on their way to you in about nine hours.

Latest posts

Members online

Back