HPI Savage XL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikesavage

I am really thinking of getting a XL to add to my collection. I have been looking and it don't look like it needs many upgrades other than what I want to do, Pipe, 4-shoe clutch from werks racing, rpm center skid plate, a-arms are the savage X one the same or do they make ones for the XL that are longer? Ofna mod and any others that I may be forgetting. Any info would be great.

dude...i say get the xl ......sell the 5.9 and get an LRP or Picco....add steering bearings, the integy rear carriers, and a ERCM pipe and let her sing her song......

o....forgot....some FLUx sport big bores and maybe some aluminum caps for them........and that's pretty much a bulletproof truck the way she sits

ikesavage, I don't think rpm or any other co. makes skid plates for the savage xl. But with your skills I'm sure you sould make one. rockout

ikesavage, I don't think rpm or any other co. makes skid plates for the savage xl. But with your skills I'm sure you sould make one. rockout

Sorry about the spelling, meant to say "could make one" cornfused

Brain fart there? lol I could make something I have mad room in my basement lots of table room. after I posted I thought about the bearings for the steering, Do they make anything bigger than a .36 that will fit? I think I'll just run the 5.9 till she dies like my 4.6 did and then get a new one, as for the shocks I'm leavin them to I spent over 100.00 on aluminium ones and nothin but problems bent shafts, leakin, pooin the caps off so I built the stockers and not a problem. Whats everyones input on the 4-shoe clutch?
(modified How do the Axial beadlocks work out?)

Brain fart there? lol I could make something I have mad room in my basement lots of table room. after I posted I thought about the bearings for the steering, Do they make anything bigger than a .36 that will fit? I think I'll just run the 5.9 till she dies like my 4.6 did and then get a new one, as for the shocks I'm leavin them to I spent over 100.00 on aluminium ones and nothin but problems bent shafts, leakin, pooin the caps off so I built the stockers and not a problem. Whats everyones input on the 4-shoe clutch?

The Axial beadslocks and Masher Tire combo works great. Haven't flipped my truck since i put them on. The don't roll like like the stock terra pins.

The Axial beadslocks and Masher Tire combo works great. Haven't flipped my truck since i put them on. They don't roll like like the stock terra pins.

I miss the edit button

Need to start proof reading y posts.

. after I posted I thought about the bearings for the steering, Do they make anything bigger than a .36 that will fit? I think I'll just run the 5.9 till she dies like my 4.6 did and then get a new one, as for the shocks I'm leavin them to I spent over 100.00 on aluminium ones and nothin but problems bent shafts, leakin, pooin the caps off so I built the stockers and not a problem. Whats everyones input on the 4-shoe clutch?

you kinda sound like a noob on this dude...........asking for help then turning down help? :thinking: that's funny!

bigger engines don't rev that well man. that's the whole purpose for getting rid of the 5.9. the .46 hot bodies did was a nightmare.....took too long to try to start....couldn't hold a decent tune......and couldn't rev worth five cent. you're just asking for trouble tryin to go bigger....

a properly tuned .28 will kill that .36 anyday in a race in the exact same truck. you could sell the .36 on ebay for about $200....buy an LRP .28 for about $160 if you know where to look, and pocket the rest for other stuff.

flux big bores are not aluminum. there plastic. save weight and make the truck more efficient. shock caps break and pop off.....that's the purpose of the aluminum caps. the bigger shafts are a little more sturdy than the stock shocks.

i would leave the four shoe clutch alone. a lot of money for nothing unless your're running a nasty motor. the stock aluminum clutches that come in the XL are awesome and long lasting.

steering bearings will take the plastic bushings out of your steering arms and make them more effecient. what does that mean? lessen drag....makes the steering servo work less, no maintenance, and no worn out steering arm. that's the first mod i do to all my savages.

the integy rear carrier takes that weak plastic arm off the back end and eliminates the rear tie rods. no more bearing that wheel any more off a bad jump. that's nearly the on thing integy makes that is actually worth the money and a darn fine hop up.

maybe you need to go through a read a few of the threads and you will see the awswers to all your questions. this site has some of the best info and guys on it and i'm sure everythingin here in a thread.

you kinda sound like a noob on this dude...........asking for help then turning down help? :thinking: that's funny!

bigger engines don't rev that well man. that's the whole purpose for getting rid of the 5.9. the .46 hot bodies did was a nightmare.....took too long to try to start....couldn't hold a decent tune......and couldn't rev worth five cent. you're just asking for trouble tryin to go bigger....

a properly tuned .28 will kill that .36 anyday in a race in the exact same truck. you could sell the .36 on ebay for about $200....buy an LRP .28 for about $160 if you know where to look, and pocket the rest for other stuff.

flux big bores are not aluminum. there plastic. save weight and make the truck more efficient. shock caps break and pop off.....that's the purpose of the aluminum caps. the bigger shafts are a little more sturdy than the stock shocks.

i would leave the four shoe clutch alone. a lot of money for nothing unless your're running a nasty motor. the stock aluminum clutches that come in the XL are awesome and long lasting.

steering bearings will take the plastic bushings out of your steering arms and make them more effecient. what does that mean? lessen drag....makes the steering servo work less, no maintenance, and no worn out steering arm. that's the first mod i do to all my savages.

the integy rear carrier takes that weak plastic arm off the back end and eliminates the rear tie rods. no more bearing that wheel any more off a bad jump. that's nearly the on thing integy makes that is actually worth the money and a darn fine hop up.

maybe you need to go through a read a few of the threads and you will see the awswers to all your questions. this site has some of the best info and guys on it and i'm sure everythingin here in a thread.
Excellent advice here. this man knows whats hes talking about. if you want a different clutch try a twin turbo fioroni clutch with black carbon set up. I had the werks and i disliked it.

Thanks for the input I dodnt know that the .36 was that bad as for the steering bearings I did that when I built my SS and will do that as soon as I get the xl and as for the clutch I got a set of hpi ones and were shot by the end of summer. Thanks for the info guys.

Latest posts

Members online

Back