HPI Savage X 4.6 Starting Problems for a novice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mw24hr

Hi there, completely new to all this but we have just bought a second hand Savage X4.6. Its pull start and I have had it running but when I take off the glow starter the engine cuts out. I have not played with any settings yet this is just the first night getting it running. Should I be starting it with the wheels off the floor? Also there is alot of fuel on the floor when its been running. Also do I found out engine type ? F , K ?

Sounds like the glow plug is faulty, get a new medium plug and try that, it is normal for oil and some unburned fuel to come out of the exhaust, and yes start it on a block of wood or something to keep the wheels off the ground... as for the :ercm: a couple of clear pics will help in identifying which one you have in the truck....

Great I will give that a try then and I will make a stand for it aswell. Please see attached pics for identification

Sounds like the glow plug is faulty, get a new medium plug and try that, it is normal for oil and some unburned fuel to come out of the exhaust, and yes start it on a block of wood or something to keep the wheels off the ground... as for the :ercm: a couple of clear pics will help in identifying which one you have in the truck....
at

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 15
That`s thrown me, I bought it off ebay advertised as 4.6 and instructions say 4.6 aswell ?

That`s thrown me, I bought it off ebay advertised as 4.6 and instructions say 4.6 aswell ?

I'm looking at it on my computer today, yesterday I had only my phone to see it. It's hard to see if the crank case is grey or black due to dirtiness and lighting. If it is black, then it is an V1 F4.6. I apologize if I have created any confusion.

I will have a look when I get home from work, but no problem I appreciate you trying to help, just want to know the model for parts etc in future. I am going to try the glowplug tonight aswell to see if I can keep it running. I will get it off the ground aswell.

I was having the same trouble after I bought my savage. I went ahead and got some o'donnell medium (purple) glow plugs and it seems my motor loves them, it starts up like a charm now.

If you have a lot of fuel on the floor, it's probably running rich which could also cause it to stall out when you take off the heater before the engine is warmed up. Try blipping the throttle a few times before removing the heater to clear it's throat a bit, then try taking off the heater.

Hi there, thankyou for the reply, someone told me to try a new glowplug which I did and it works fine and keeps running. The only thing is every now and then the pull start gets really hard to do, but as far as running we now just need to get it out on the field to give it a blast. Have you any idea why the pullstart would be going hard then soft ? It eases if I slacken off the glowplug

Well, there is compression, so it would be soft at the bottom of the stroke and get tougher as the piston goes up. Also, if it's lightly flooded from rich running, your compressing fuel which if bad enough will lock the engine up and you have to pull the plug and then pull the cord a couple times to clear the cylinder of fuel. Usually done with the engine almost upside down and a rag over it to keep from spraying fuel all over.

You will feel the compression more on a cold engine than a warm engine as well.

What you are saying there sounds like whats happening, I told the plug out and there was alot of fuel in there, I put a rag over and pulled the cord to clear it. Popped the plug back in and off it went. I noticed a rubber bung on what I think is the crank case. Should I put oil in there ? Should I be oiling it anywhere ?

More pics for identification

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 10
What you are saying there sounds like whats happening, I told the plug out and there was alot of fuel in there, I put a rag over and pulled the cord to clear it. Popped the plug back in and off it went. I noticed a rubber bung on what I think is the crank case. Should I put oil in there ? Should I be oiling it anywhere ?

Not sure what "rubber bung" your talking about. If your talking about the purple accordion thing, no. That's your throttle slide. It gets all the lube it needs from the fuel going through it.

These engines are quite a bit different than normal 2 cycle engines. Normal 2 cycle engines have rings on the piston which create the seal for compression. These engines rely solely on a tapered sleeve that actually gets narrower as the piston goes up the stroke. When hot, the sleeve expands just a little to releive the mechanical "pinch" enough to where you get compression without grinding down the piston. When the engines are cold, the piston essentially grinds down and eventually wears so much that when the engine warms up, the combustion pressure leaks past the piston causing poor running, stalling, bad tune, power loss, etc.

When the engine gets flooded, the crankcase below and above the piston get filled with fuel, so the piston can't go up/down and becomes hydrolocked. Running overly rich can cause this or over priming can cause it.

As for "oiling" anything, there's an "after run" oil that can be used if you intend on letting the engine sit for more than a week or so without being used. With that, you put a couple drops down the carb and in the glow plug hole, then turn the engine over a few times without the heater on it. That's the only extra oiling you should do with these.

After run oil: http://www.hobbypeople.net/hobbico-after-run-engine-oil-2oz.html?gclid=CPGe4pP3kMoCFQmOaQod4s0J8A

Whenever you shut down the engine for the day, you should rotate the flywheel so the piston is at the bottom of the stroke. This, in theory, will help prolong the engines life by not causing excess wear I talked about up above and will allow things to shrink properly when the engine cools.

More pics for identification

I think someone's truck needs a hosing down. :) Anyways, still tough to see, but more confident now that the crankcase is black. Likely a V1 F4.6.

I think someone's truck needs a hosing down. :) Anyways, still tough to see, but more confident now that the crankcase is black. Likely a V1 F4.6.
Your right it does need a clean, whats the best way to do this without damaging anything ? Also would you have your receiver in a waterproof box or not as ours is missing ? I promise I will leave you alone soon

I always balloon/ziptie my receiver and battery pack as well as run waterproof servos for those times I run in snow or wet grass, which happens a lot. Without balloons, you have to be very careful around water.

to clean i would take out the radio box and servos and clean it with denatured alcohol or some simple green and blow it down with a compressed air hose.....

I get a spray bottle with water and a couple drops of dish washing soap and spray down a small area at a time and scrub with a tooth brush. It actually works well, just don't spray down places with the electronics because that will get you into trouble.

I don't even take my truck out in wet grass, I don't want to worry about getting things wet plus my savage stays a lot cleaner.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back