Hpi savage x 4.6 spur gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter89

Hey people
I bought a savage x 4.6 nitro and I have stripped 2 spur gears I have looked at a metal one but I was also advised not to get one as it may cause damage to the motor

What are your opinions and what is the best option to take

Thank you

I went to a hobby shop and the bloke behind the counter said that it’s breaking cause off a reason if it doesn’t break the force will be sent to the engine, I have ordered a steel one and was wondering if it would damage anything or would it be ok

What was the time frame that you stripped them in? We have always run quite a while on the stock savage plastic spur gears before they wear out or we flat out strip one. My guess is that if you stripped them quickly, you don't have the mesh right. That is nearly always the case. We learned the hard way a couple of times not getting that right and then we figured it out. Steel gears are fine too, just make sure you get a hardened clutch bell, otherwise you will send your problem the other way.

@Torquematters
Mate thank you I did have the gear mesh wrong it was just touching the spur gear
Within minutes she was stripped
I re did the mesh gear and it’s all good now I will look into the metal
Clutch bell too
Thank you guys for all your help I really appreciate it

Hey people
I bought a savage x 4.6 nitro and I have stripped 2 spur gears I have looked at a metal one but I was also advised not to get one as it may cause damage to the motor

What are your opinions and what is the best option to take

Thank you
I always put metal spur gears on my savages one thing I learn you have to have the right gear mesh

I have never bothered with a metal s/gear & yes probably did strip the odd s/gear back when I had my savage 21.
Could of been changing out stock engine mount to a Nova type & cost of new s/gear which encouraged me to get mesh correct, but always believed that by having plastic s/gear was good as this if needed was the weakest link in set up! 👍🏻

@guinessdublin
That’s what I was thinking with the plastic spur gear it would be the weakest part and break instead something else

Also I’m having a little bit off trouble finding out exactly how tight to go on the spur gear bolt
How tight do you put it?
The instructions say go tight then 1/8 off
Now does that mean to go as tight as it can go because I have it what I think is tight but the adhesive slip pad slips

This probably sounds really silly me asking how tight to put the bolt I am just suss on putting it to tight and damaging something

I have always tightened nut up what I think is tight but nut going over board & have never then backed it off after, which again has never caused me any problems even when racing savage every week end!
One of the checks before each use is I just hold c/bell tight & rock s/gear back & forth to hear for very slight knocking sound against c/bell, with experience you will get the feel for what sounds/correct mesh! 👍🏻

Latest posts

Members online

Back