HPI Savage start up issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanks_bah

newbee to this site...

Thought i'd better share my issues.

ok savage SS built in 10 hours.... no dramas
inspection of the engine........ pull start / piston jammed. After a day pulling, shouting,screaming being generally pi$$ed off 20% of the skin is missing from my fingers...... ( what a great place to put the pull start ;( ) i then installed roto start :) ........ thing turned over first time lol

just wondering has anyone else had the same issue............. ????

battery indicator installed
ofna failsafe installed
extra length of fuel tube on fuel line
new wider pressure line installed..... my thinking was the halk tank lean. to be honest havnt noticed an issue.
brake mod using fuel line..... brakes work now :)

painted the body...... what a distater. spary paint here in the middle east is pants lol

break in done

after 4 tanks of fuel it was time to tune...... glue failed on 2 tires whilst at top speed. back flipped 4 times landed on its wheels like a champ.

also i thought i had the wrong servos....... ordered S,BUS ....... after a week of waiting checked the electrics once it arrived by Amarex its all gravy..... just wondering any benifits from S,bus over standard servos.

anyway ill post some pics soon, just wanted to say HELLO

Shanks

Welcome to the site, and yes I been there done that too lol.

Only difference for me is my Roto start needed new batteries so I went with a pull start, just personal preference.

Anyway one day I couldn't get my savage started for the life of me so me being stubborn I just kept pulling, and I pulled and pulled, then let it set for a while, then pulled some more finally I took 30 seconds and swapped out the glow plug with a new one, it started the very next pull effortlessly lol.

So with that being said I would suspect you may have a glow plug and/or tuning issue. Did you ever notice if your glow plug was wet or not? Nitro motors are basically the same as any other two cycle motor or any motor for that matter, they just have to have the right tuning to run properly.

wilson

the main issue for me was the pull start would not budge an inch hahahaha...... even to the point of using my foot on the chasis and pulling so hard i thought the pull start would fly off. anyway like i said i just changed out for an electric start, no more dramas. i read on one site about the pinch on the piston.

it just baffled me thta it was so tight in the sleeve ,...... umbeleivable really.

I'm not sure if the pull start postioning is an issues since they updated the kit and fuel tank....... I'm guessing some people here will know more.

i don't have alot knowledge on the nitro side...... previously owned
Firestorm nitro
tamiya ford focus
tamiya clod buster (handed to me in a carrier bag from tescos hahahahaha with no instructions)

just love to build these things. ;)

i put 5 tanks through her in total so far last tank wouldnt fir up. i checked the glow plug and didnt work so i put in a new one and booooom she was alive. the glow plugs do seem like a weak link but maybe its just my luck

shanks

First off, welcome to the site!

Sometimes on first start up, especially during break, the pinch can be so good that it is hard to pull the starter. A way around this is to loosen the glow plug a little. When you get the engine started, tighten the glow plug back up. This relieves the pressure in the cylinder.

One other thing to keep in mind, always leave the piston at BDC (bottom of the stroke) when you shut her down. This helps with wear and tear on the engine, but it also makes it easier to start the next time.

newbee to this site...

Thought i'd better share my issues.

ok savage SS built in 10 hours.... no dramas
inspection of the engine........ pull start / piston jammed. After a day pulling, shouting,screaming being generally pi$$ed off 20% of the skin is missing from my fingers...... ( what a great place to put the pull start ;( ) i then installed roto start :) ........ thing turned over first time lol

just wondering has anyone else had the same issue............. ????

This is why alot of us "lazy" people go to roto-start. Normal. haha

cheers X

yeah i am aware of the loosen glow plug.......

but man really after a day of trying the engine popped once lol.... so yes i joined the ranks of lazy people.

but i can live with that hahahaha

shanks

You Said That You Pulled So Hard On The Pull Start And Nothing Happened? Then You Popped In A Roto Start. Did You Check That Pesky One Way Bearing? I Put One In AzzBakwardz One Time. That Engine Never Started. LOL

Probably your one way bearing in backwards, no roto start has that much power, happy bashing:)

I couldn't imagine having a pull start. I'd give up. Love the roto start.

Also, on the glow plug I have the ignitor with the meter on it. Super handy IMO with the glow plug condition.

Latest posts

Members online

Back