Hpi savage problem slipping rotor start?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zane Lewis

Have a problem with my savage 25 it’s like it’s slipping. Could it be the pressure spring?
It’s not the owb I’ve taken it apart and it’s not cracked or anything. Need help and anything y’all think that could be wrong with it would be helpful, thanks

Last edited:
With your useful video added to me it looks like the owb is slipping under load as you can hear piston moving up & down. If you take roto start back plate off & spin crank the correct way with glow plug removed to check starter pin/spring are engaging properly onto crank will confirm this part is working.
Giving the owb agood clean/soak in some brake cleaner would not be a bad idea also! ??

Have a problem with my savage 25 it’s like it’s slipping. Could it be the pressure spring?
It’s not the owb I’ve taken it apart and it’s not cracked or anything. Need help and anything y’all think that could be wrong with it would be helpful, thanks
It's engaging some of the time, so to me it would be owb. If it was the starting spring/pin, it wouldn't engage after it came out, unless it sticks occasionally in which case engine needs cleaning internally!......... Engine out is a 5 min job. Whip off the rotostart backplate, check owb, then take off the rear plate and check spring and pin just to make sure!

Definitely sounds like a OWB issue. Could either be the OWB slipping or the shaft the OWB grabs onto is worn down. Pull it apart and inspect it. Post some pics of the shaft the OWB grabs. Soak and clean the OWB with either brake cleaner or VM&P Naptha.

In my experience cleaning works for a while. Usually new owb sorts it.

It's engaging some of the time, so to me it would be owb. If it was the starting spring/pin, it wouldn't engage after it came out, unless it sticks occasionally in which case engine needs cleaning internally!......... Engine out is a 5 min job. Whip off the rotostart backplate, check owb, then take off the rear plate and check spring and pin just to make sure!
Thanks!

Definitely sounds like a OWB issue. Could either be the OWB slipping or the shaft the OWB grabs onto is worn down. Pull it apart and inspect it. Post some pics of the shaft the OWB grabs. Soak and clean the OWB with either brake cleaner or VM&P Naptha.
Thanks I’ll keep ya updated

Latest posts

Members online

Back