HPI SAVAGE 21 BUILD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdogg1966

Hey all, I have started anew project, a savage 21, heres a pic of it so far, the chassis is a old e-bay find, I have a new sh .21 just rebuilt the shocks, new springs, new fuel tank, etc.. hoping to have some fun with it soon, waiting on new servos now. stay cool. 7187

here is another pic with the shock springs added, new shock oil, hot bodies pipe, pipe is a little beat up but its all i have for now, n new dirt bonz tires.

Last edited:
Hey all, i'm still working on my savage 21, just adding a new savox high torque steering servo n discovered the steering cam was shot, so waiting on a replacement, new electronics box too when its all back in one piece, I hope I quit running into un-pleasant surprises as who-ever put this thing together put the old electronics box on with extra long sheet metal screws. so its nice to have a manual and a extra screws handy. I will post more as this build progresses, still looking for a better hpi pipe, peace!!:woot::p

Looks like fun. How does it run? Does it wheelie pretty easily? Guy who had it before knew what he was doing throwing that Dynamite on there (component pipes are virtually impossible to seal).
I wouldn't worry about the basterdized screws. It happens. Might have been all he had so did what was needed to get it back out there.
Did anything break during its shakedown? Lift up that hood man. We like to see 'em tops off. :)

By the way, regarding that pipe, I would look at the OFNA 053. It's proven for both that .21, that 3.5, and those F4.6 (v1 and v2),
Never owned a 5.9 so can't say...but HPI's engines seem very linear (which many folks love). You can usually find an 053 (or and 086 as second choice) for less than HPI in-line/alum pipes.

053 is mid-range and it will augment fine. I'd recommend staying away from any kind of component, just a nice mid-range that will keep everything smooth and linear is what I found works best. As you keep us all posted, throw up some vids so we can see it getting ignorant like a Savage should. Ha ha Good luck

hey still workin on it, got another savox servo comin for it, when I first got it it was just a frame that someone stripped all the goodies off of, bare bones was there so I thought hey, great starting point, all I really needed was a tranny front n rear diffs, the rest I have ordered or had in my parts box. still haven't got to fire it up yet. needing a few more parts, new steering cam is on along with new electronics box, one new servo so far, more to come. stayin with the savage 21 theme it has a new sh .21 now but hoping santa may bring me a new Dynamite mach 2 .21 for Christmas. more later !!

I do have a question, the chassis came with a hot bodies pipe, it was a little rough but it was useable so I cleaned it up and put it on, my question is how do you guys think it will do with the sh .21 mill? and was this a decent pipe in its day, it looked pretty beat on, but still useable? just wondering?

Good morning all, new savox sw 0231 servos in, still waiting on the radio, santa did give me my Christmas present early, i'm waiting on a dynamite mach 2 21 from Tower Hobbies, and a new set of big bore shocks, I will post pics, radio is a hpi rtr, weather is getting cooler now so i may not get to start it until spring. oh well, on the other note if you saw my " TRUCKZILLA PICS" on here i finally decided to remove all the aluminum control arms n shock towers to get some weight off the thing. that will be my other winter project, so i will have a bunch of savage aluminum parts for sale if anyone wants to build a paper weight. peace !!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back