HPI Racing Tuned Aluminum Pipe - retune?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommyrox

So just installed the HPI Racing Tuned Aluminum Pipe and trying to dial it back in. I read some suggestions on here and got it running pretty good except symptoms:

1. Right after install truck ran and sounded exactly the same as before. After about 1/2 tank the idle went up and it started growling...love that sound. Just wondering if there is a "break-in" period on the pipe itself...getting oil in it since its brand new.

2. Having a little trouble starting now but after starting runs pretty good. Wheelies off the start and top end is good but noticed it's cutting out intermittently on the top end...stalling.

3. Seems like after a good wot run it really winds out when slowing the truck down or releasing the throttle all together. Sorta like shifting from 4th gear to 1st. *Could be the aluminum is just amplifying the down throttle wining.

Greatly appreciate any feedback...thanks folks!

Side note: Running about 247-265 degrees.

By your description it sounds as if the low end is a bit lean and making that growling sound...
also maybe try richening up the hi end a bit and see if that helps the stalling, the temp is a bit high and overheating may cause this to happen.....

Definitely running lean at some point, or have an air leak. You wouldn't be running that high a temp otherwise. Most engines like to run between 220-240.

As far as the exhaust noise, are you sure you don't have a leak somewhere in the pipe/ header assembly? I've never had a pipe get louder after usage, and I have owned the HPI polished pipe.

I also have the HPI polished pipe manifold setup on my Savage X running an Axial .32 and it is quieter than my kids truck running a stock X f4.6 v1 engine with the stock manifold and plastic pipe.... The pipe manifold combo does make a huge difference in the tune of the engine...... keep after it and soon will be humming a sweet note while bashing.....

Thanks! I'm not seeing any signs of leakage..
no oil anywhere, clean as a whistle around the coupler. I didn't remove the header and think I made sure the tie wraps were nice and tight. I think that maybe go back to richer flush settings on the HSN and lean forward. Thanks again !

Last edited:
Nice Vid.... doesnt sound like it is shifting yet tho... how many tanks ya have on it so far ? when it is shifting right it should bang 2nd gear right as the engine tops out....mine shifts about 60 ft off the line normally....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back