HPI Goliath - worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwatKat

Hello! I have for some months a SavageX. As I am a newbie, and from Romania (thus I can only shop on tower) I still have a lot of things to learn about handling the truck. So, spending money on a set of Goliath tires worth it in terms of stability?

I do often some bashing and also playing in the grass, mud, and ocasionally on tarmac. So I kinda need an "all-around" tire in terms of traction... Do the Goliath tires take away a lot of torque or is it acceptable? And do the Goliath tires bring more stability?

And finally, between HPI blast wheel and HPI tremor wheel what to choose?

Or do you have other suggestions?

Thanks and hope I have not bothered you..

I am running the Goliaths on my XL and i love them, they handle good in grass, dirt and on the street... I like the width of the tread, and the low side wall area, they really don't balloon either...

Here are some pics of the goliaths on tremor wheels..
DSC_1098.jpg

DSC_1097.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally hated my goliaths, they are since sold. I much prefer smaller wheels/tires.

That size tire and wheel combo look and work much better on a long chassis truck IMO. And yea that XL is a bonified killer!

So what do you recomend in terms of stability/all around traction? As I am not a hard bashing, I would prefer a tire that has a low side wall area...

I went with the goliaths on my XL because they are about 7" in diameter, just like the stock tires on the XL, and i haven't change any of the gearing so i stuck with the same size tire..

Also if you want more top speed the taller the tire the more top speed. but this is affected by your CB/Spur gear combo...

So, not to start another topic...
I have to make an order soon to tower for some parts, the truck is now in winter maintenance.

So, I was wondering if I should also order some Goliath tires. How will they fit on my stock-lenght Savage X 4.6? Can the bigger tires affect the gears/transmission/diffs?

I can see Sunkenmetal's pics and they look great, but you have the XL Savage.

PS. How about wheelys? Will I be able to do them with the Goliaths?

Thanks for your answers. I am asking here because I can only order the parts from ine internet I don't want to order first and then realize they aren't good.

The bigger tires will be harder on the drive train, just because of the greater rolling mass. But you should still be alright if you drive smart. Meaning not landing with the throttle on, etc. If you notice you are going through more dogbones, I recommend FLM dogbones. I bought mine for $7 each and they were well worth it, I only bent one. Again if you find yourself going through drive cups, go with the HPI HD ones. Your tranny and diffs should be ok if they are shimmed correctly.

As for ordering Goliaths, I recommend Big Joes over them for the price. Don't get me wrong, I think the Goliaths are good, but I liked Big Joes better.

As for the wheelies. They will decrease a bit. When I had my Big Joes, I was still able to wheelie on command, but it wouldn't wheelie every single time you hit the throttle to go.

-Shawn

I personally hated my goliaths, they are since sold. I much prefer smaller wheels/tires.

they do look nice but i will agree with you i don't like the huge tires really for myself!!!!

i have a set of goliaths, and when i had my long chassis truck, they were awesome. but when i shortened it, they look awkward. so i got a set of Maximizer 1/2" offset beadlocks, and put a set of dirtbonz on them, and they are a great combo. bit more pricey than mounted goliaths, but worth it.

sorry for the horrible pics. heres a couple shots.
side
n214000867_30448605_7943.jpg

front
n214000867_30449581_8403.jpg

Here's Goliaths on my X4.6:
n585745495_993628_6638.jpg

n585745495_993633_8152.jpg

n585745495_993640_368.jpg

I run 49/17 gearing and it can still wheelie no problem but they're more controllable. I didn't have to alter the shift points in the tranny either and the extra top end is nice.

I find it MUCH more stable in turns as well. It'll still roll over but you get more warning with it I find.

I have chewed up a few front pinions though but only when bashing hard.

OK. Great. Cool photos. Since here we don't have a lot of playgrounds, and we mostly play on grass or gravel (very few places to bash) I think the pinions will be ok.

And since you didn't alter the shifting points I lean towards buying a set. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Back