HPI big bore shocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bankrupter

OK guys now that we all are getting them. Let's get the pics and comments rolling on them. Post up you pics and comments here. For easy site searches.

104_2135.jpg

104_2136.jpg

104_2137.jpg

104_2139.jpg

104_2140.jpg

104_2141.jpg

104_2142.jpg

104_2132.jpg

Sweet hi qc photos thanks scrogathon!!!:resp: They look good can't wait for mine to arrive...

Last edited by a moderator:
ok I'm going out to run them now :) I know there gonna perform, the second i put them on I pushed down on and started smiling, lol.

lol someone spotted it, i have to get some new outdrives and i figured it would be easier on the breakin process
edit these also arent my normal bashing tires, there just my lightest tires and I have badlands and mashers I usually run, stock tires suck imo so they only get used for well holding my truck up to work on it.

ive gotta large feeling that I'm gonna need some cen diffs lol.
104_2156.jpg

104_2157.jpg

104_2155.jpg

104_2154.jpg

So i got my big bores today,and since the big bores are a single shock set up i figured why not get the HPI suspension conversion... here are some pics of it all put together.

DSC_1365.jpg

DSC_1366.jpg

DSC_1370.jpg

DSC_1371.jpg

DSC_1372.jpg

so what do ya guys think?

lol haas anyone succesfully ran them, it seems the wait was so long, why not wait a little longer:) nice pics guys.

got mine today going to bash them this weekend to see how they are and i will let everyone know how they hold up,my truck is not as nice as some of them on this thread lol

Anyone have any tips on filling them. I'm new to filling shocks
Fill it up. Then move the shock piston up and down slowly with the cap off to get all the air out. I like to let them sit for a bit B4 and after that step. Then compress the shaft all the way in and put on the cap while its compressed. After this bash like crazy and enjoy!

hey sunkenmetal, whats that small gas tank doing in the back of your xl? whats its purpose?

its my fix for the Mid tank lean and having more fuel on bored. its a RS4 fuel tank its basically daisy chained to the stock tank, the pressure from the pipe pushes the fuel from the stock tank to the rs4 tank so even when the stock tank is empty it doesnt lean out...

here is a link to a thread i did about that little tank.
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6610

pssst vvvv stay on topic boys...:stickspank:

So the big bores have a issue! You can lose the lower spring cup due to the gap being to big! Heres my fix for it... I CA'ed (super glue or tire glue to people who don't know what it is) and piece of zip tie over the slot to just close the hole and retain the part. One more dope slap to HPI :slapped:!!!
IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

Sorry Bank,

Anyways, Banks post is because I told him a story, I was out bashing on my new big bores. The shocks are performing well, very nice, so I catch some big air back flip land on all 4 tires.... so I decide to go back around do it again, but wait something isn’t right... the front end is low, pull up and stop. Both front spring cups are gone.

I had less spring spacers on the top of the shock then what the instructions say. So when the truck left the ground the shocks sagged, all the way, no spring tension and the large gap in the spring retainer or cup what ever you want to call it both just flew off some where....

Oh and just for future reference the part I am talking about is Part#85231 same one used on the HPI Hellfire, after doing some more comparison pretty much the only thing on these shocks that isn’t a hell fire part is the shock body and the shaft, the shaft is 20mm longer then the stock hellfire shaft...

What you guys just posted about the spring retainers only makes sense really...My RC18T would do the same thing if I ran too little preload which allowed the spring to flop up and down. I ended up CA gluing a plastic ring on each retainer that would sit inside the spring and keep it there if it tried to jump off the retainers. That should work on these too...hope this helps...

I ordered extra bump stops for the inside of the shock so the shocks will stay preloaded and i wont have to put so many of the clips on...

Bank you should post up the pics you showed me explaining what I'm talking about..........
IMG_0823.jpg
Here you go sunk (Edited in by Bank)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back