HPI big bore or LST

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpmikey

Hey guys I'm new here but need your help. I bought a used savage 21 and put a hyper 21 in it to get it running but the shocks are leaking and the springs worn out. Would like to make it a racer, any opinions on shocks will be adding a mid tank from platnium rc as soon as $$ gets in. But for now I need shocks thanks for the help

mikey

hey bud, I personally don't have experience with the big bores but will get a set at some point. However I would have to say the LST's are a little better shock. You are going to want the LST2 shocks as they are aluminum bodied and are threaded. if you can get these I would recommend them as they will be a bit smoother.

I'm sure someone will chime in here who has had both and can give a good comparison. But I love my LST2 shocks. probably one of the best mods I have done other than Radio gear.

just got the Bog Bores

have not done much testing but, they are sweet so far

werksclutchpics018.jpg

werksclutchpics044.jpg

It depends on what you are after really. I've used both and like them both very much. The LST2 setup will come with an extra cost (mounting hardware). However, the HPI big bores are still expensive as far as I know. The price is about equal for both systems. You can get the LST2's for around $50 for a set new. A good mounting kit will cost ~$40 so total cost is about $90. The HPI big bores are around $90 and may be less now that they've been out a while.

The LST2 shocks take a little effort to mount since there is extra hardware to install, but that's a petty complaint since it is minimal work.

The big bores are also not a direct fit. Bankrupter and I talked about it the other day and I forget which piece he was talking about. He and I are both big proponents of buying the HPI conversion kit by itself, but would really work well with the big bores. That will add a big expense to the upgrades.

It's all preference as far as I am concerned...take you pick since both will serve you well.

I wouldn't, however, leave stock springs or oil weight in the LST2 shocks.

Edit: Here's my favorite setup. Buy a new set of stock Savage shocks on eBay for *dirt*, get a set of RC Raven triple-rate springs also on eBay and also cheap as dirt, then take out the spacers, and enjoy. I used this setup on my X SS with FLM TVP's and it handled and jumped GREAT. I liked it better than the LST2 and big bore setups I had.

Again neither of these upgrades will be cheap, but both are worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used both as well. Also both with the kit Chris mentioned. I lean toward the Big bores now. I don't think the LST 2 are worth the added weight.

Also + 1 with the spring and oil change on the LST's I also went as far to drill out the pistons to make them worthy on the track.

For racing the big bores kick butt. Way more tunable and handle the punishment of bashing as well. I have snapped off the mount screws with no damage to the body of the shock. To me that is A++. I have bent a shaft. but expected when shearing off hardware. Price / performance for the dollar worth the big bores edge out the lst's But if you want a mean looking truck LSTs look sweet. Only advantage I think that have anymore with a year of tuning the lsts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back