HPI Big Bore- Good Or Bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester296

I've been researching Hpi big bore shocks on this site because I'm thinking of buying them soon. It seems that the good and bads are about equal I was just curious if anyone was could give me a little insight.

All I have heard is great about them. I wish I had a set but will at some point. From what I have heard is they are as good as the LST2 shocks with out all the extra weight.

The only problem HPI did on these is not threading them. Just my .02.

Thanks for the insight i was just curious because a lot of the threads start with something bad i just didnt wanna buy something id be working on all the time.

They're not big enough. Mwahahahaha.

idk what bad your talkin about, i love em & hear the same from all who have them. the shafts are thick. rockout

Only issue I have heard of is the "New" leak. the o'rings in the bottom cup are dry and will leak after the first fill if you don't pull out the shaft and lube them. Mine did it and its all it took to stop. They are tough as nails and I compare them to the Aftershock and LST2 shocks I also have.

i just bought a set of them and did notice that there is a lot of slop in the top mount does anyone know how to fix this or is there a standoff that will fix this. any .02 will help thanx

I love my big bores! Put them on after my suspension conversion and couldnt be happier. They are truly great!

In fact HPI is using a plastic version on the new Savage Flux. Maybe the X will get them soon.

As for the slop. Mine didn't have as much slop as others have commented on. I wondered at the time if HPI hadn't revised the parts for these with a little better fit. The carriers both stock and aluminum have way more play than my shocks did. Although I had thought about using some small metal tubing with larger fuel line around them to create a bushing (Kind of like what is used on real car shocks) Just my 2 cents.

I don't see why not but why would you want to?

Youd need different spring rates and lighter oil and $90 to throw away plus the cost of new springs.

The springs that come with these are designed to support the Savage with only four shocks/Springs. Of course you could run 4 without springs and four with but you would still need lighter oil than running four.

ah ok cuz i 2 sets of them and was thinking about putting them both on just in case one fails at track thanx scooter

Somebody please post pics of a Savy with 8 big bores on!!! Come on Wildchild, you know you waaaanna. And shame on everyone else for discouraging him.

Shame on the man that makes a truck bounce off the track due to too double redundant shocks.
you only need one set for HUGE air so much for little track jumps... look at the hellfire shock spring kits. should have a light enough sprig for what you want to do. But you would have to make them all soft and if you lost one like you are projecting it would be the same issue. 8 will make the truck a undrivable brick...

Shame on the man that makes a truck bounce off the track due to too double redundant shocks.
you only need one set for HUGE air so much for little track jumps... look at the hellfire shock spring kits. should have a light enough sprig for what you want to do. But you would have to make them all soft and if you lost one like you are projecting it would be the same issue. 8 will make the truck a undrivable brick...

I GOT A 4 DAY BANN FOR THIS POST...

BANKRUPTER REPLY:
Last I checked this is not your thread...... also flaming and bad language NOT tolerated at this site. This is your ONLY warning...

Bankrupter,
HPISF Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran 8 MSR8 shocks before going baja, and they are the same size as the hpi big bore. (I have a pic if you want to see)

It was a very stiff ride, but it didn't bounce and actually handled very well on the track. Never bottoming out. *snicker*

My 4 baja 5B shocks I have on it now are also stiff, but not as much as the 8 MSR8 shocks. It's actually a softer ride now.

Latest posts

Members online

Back