HPI 77065 3 Speed Gearbox.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello bud, so what size are these gears compared to the standard gears in a 3 speed tranny. See the 1st batch of these was recalled by HPI as they were to thick by 0.02mm, wouldn't have though this would have made a difference but HPI did.

No idea what size & after further digging HPI have confirmed it will be available mid April.
Just reminded me about looking into getting a Sky RC speed analyser, Lol!

Lol, thought I was the novice & you the guru! 😂
Interesting about recall when was that mate?

No idea what size & after further digging HPI have confirmed it will be available mid April.
Just reminded me about looking into getting a Sky RC speed analyser, Lol!
By the way mate, haven't forgot about those wheels, it will be the week after next when payday comes around again that I will have them. PM me your address again as might work out cheaper for me to collect them. Down your neck of the woods most weeks on deliveries anyway.

Lol, thought I was the novice & you the guru! 😂
Interesting about recall when was that mate?
Mate, I'm always going to be a novice, there is always someone out there who has more knowledge than me. This hobby like life is one big learning curve. I read, I listen then I research, only then do I make a comment on this forum. Get the facts 1st, give your options 2nd.
To many people take what people on this and other forums say as gospel and don't do the research, Google is a wonder of information. Just research, read & learn. All the info is out there.

See the Recall was back in 2008 then! 👍🏻
Yes that is correct mate, Good research,😏👌
Here another snippet for you, the reason I had a gap between my skid plates & the centre skid plate on my IRC truck was because the plastic skid of a std savage are longer than those of a savage X. It ain't much but they are different by about 3mm. If you put a savage 25 skid next to a savage X skid you will see the difference.
See reading & research works. LOL.

LOL, see that's why research works, only noticed this when I was down at Simons @ RCScrapyard just before xmas buying some parts, and when I laid a few skid plates out on the table saw the difference in length. After building 14 of these truck last year thought I would have spotted this but didn't, Like I say we are all novices in this hobby and only know what we know.
Every day we learn something new, life is one big learning curve. 😎👍

I just got a SkyRC GNSS unit for my drag car got it from Sky RC site on AliXpress, and I also have decided to go with A Tekin RX8 esc and a couple different motors to try out, starting with a 4.5 and a 3.5 for my electronics package, so this outta be a fun learning curve....

Sometime after HPI introduced the 3 Speed gearbox upgrade, some dude calculated the gear ratio and compared it with that of the 2 speed gearbox. According to those calculations, the top end speed gain could be no more than 3 or 5 km (it could have been slightly more or slightly less but it was low enough to render the upgrade useless). The issue was shared with HPI and a while later, they released this high speed gear set (MSRP $15) to remedy their fuuk-up.

Last edited:
What was the verdict on the high speed gear set, was it worth the upgrade?

What was the verdict on the high speed gear set, was it worth the upgrade?
Dublin, I was too quick with my answer. I am sorry.

With almost all Savage XL models, HPI has incorporated the high-speed set (77065) into the gearbox already. I beleive it is the preassembled 3-speed transmission upgrade (87217) and the unassembled upgrade kit (87220) that lack the high speed gear set.

To be sure, you need to take out the corresponding gears out of your current gearbox and check the tooth count on both.

If you have 24t (77064) and 38t (77073) in your gearbox, you have the initial iteration and therefore need to upgrade to the high speed set which changes those gears to 26t (77065) and 36t (77065bis) respectively.

p.s. FLM steel 3-speed gear set for savage unfortunately has the same gear ratio as first iterations (useless in terms of speed gain) of the 3-speed gearbox.

Screenshot_20230830_131854_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230830_131447_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230830_131041_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting info Clifffff thanks, like many got the 3 speed upgrade set when released but never knew about this other upgrade HPI later released! 👍🏻
Have now got some 25% nitro & want to do a speed run & compare before I swap gears out for this set! 👍🏻

Latest posts

Members online

Back