HPI 309 GT speed controller problems.

Old Hilly

Member
Messages
5
I have a HPI 309 GT speed controller that has sat idle for about 10 years. It worked fine when the Savage went into storage but would not work when we started using the car again. The indicator lights function the way the book says they should, the receiver seems OK, the steering servo works fine if connected to either channel, the internal components seem fine, nothing burned or blackened, no bad smells. Motors work fine if connected directly to a battery, Both seem to have similar internal resistance. Battery voltages are both within .05V of each other and do not vary when the throttle is moved. There is no voltage on the output side of the controller apart from electrical "noise" picked up by the wires.
My silly question is: Does this speed controller have some sort of internal memory that was pre-installed during manufacture and has now just faded away, sort of like electronic Alzheimer's disease?
Obviously I need a new controller but my inquisitive mind needs to know why the old one failed while it sat in a box doing nothing.
 

Old Hilly

Member
Messages
5
Thanks Jam Racing, I have done the auto setup thing with the radio at least a dozen times. Other more knowledgeable people have also done the same things and we all got nowhere. I could understand it if there was some obvious reason for the failure but it all looks and smells good. Basic components seem to be fine but the part numbers have been buffed off the ICs so I am now at the end of the diagnostic phase and looking to buy a new speed controller.
 

jasl1971

New Member
Messages
1
hello from Chile,
I have the same problem with the e-savage speed controller (HPI 309 GT), the car was saved and now I need to use it, the servo of the steering works fine, but it does not accelerate and the led indicator of the controller when I accelerate to full , Does not show the light properly. Apparently the only solution is to change the controller.

regards
 

Jean

New Member
Messages
1
Hello folks.

I had the same problem you describe above. I finally fixed it. The problem is inside the speed controller. It is needed to replace two swollen electrolytic capacitors. Read more about capacitors here.

In my case first had 330uF/25V and the bigger one had560uF/35V. These little electrical components are relatively cheap. You can buy it for 1 EUR in the Czech Republic (both of them).

Whole replacement takes about 30 minutes (includes disassembling/assembling).

If you do not know what you are doing, it is a good idea to leave a replacement of capacitors to a specialist.

I hope this post will help!
Enjoy!
 

Attachments

Last edited:
Top