hpi 1/8 gas engine revealed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickey

just me
HPISupr5SC-1.jpg

HPISupr5SC-2.jpg

Looks like I'm gonna need one of those and the header. I want to convert my savvy so bad! Hopefully the motor plate spacing will work with the gearing required to adapt this motor!

Put me down for one. If all we need is a few parts to convert one of our savages I'll do that, but if not sign me up. Looks interesting

i think hpi will have somethin if it fits in old savages with a few parts as it looks like a giant oversized nitro engine. heck look at the carb lol, it reminds me of airplanes and such

Better then i expected, hope it fits old savages, id like to have my savage used..

The block and mounting holes look the same as a nitro block just judging by the pics. Looks like all we need is the fuel tank, the new RX/servo box, some T/B linkage, and the header!

Questions? What do you think about the possibility of more torque with this gas engine vs nitro? If so bashing around in the mud would be more fun or truck pulls or running in high grass anything that would otherwise have slowed you down. Just a thought

Wouldn't it be the same as a nitro? It's already been stated this 8cc motor is equal to out .26 nitros. Overtime I think these motor will defiantly beat nitros power wise. Right now they are just here for people who can't or don't want to tune.

Also, don't forget they'll be more fuel cost effective.1 gal $3.50-4.50 versus $20+ for 1 gal of nitro. Even better for those who have to order fuel from online stores like me. No HSs near me sell Byrons fuel.

Power may be similar, but it will probably have different torque curves. Just a guess though. As far as modding goes, I'm sure people will be able to prot them and such. They do it with the Baja engines and the nitro engines so I'm sure someone will figure these out as well. Please HPI, make a conversion kit for the XL! Looks like the TVP is different on the pipe side but I'm not above making a few modifaications to make this work. I don't want to buy a whole truck, or a conversion kit that has half the truck in it and is way overpriced! Just want the motor/ignition electronics, the fuel tank, and the batt/rx boxes, in a kit. The rest we can do ourselves!

Also, don't forget they'll be more fuel cost effective.1 gal $3.50-4.50 versus $20+ for 1 gal of nitro. Even better for those who have to order fuel from online stores like me. No HSs near me sell Byrons fuel.

I don't have a LHS period anymore. This was a major factor in me not using the Savvy anymore. The Baja is much more convenient at this point. If the Savvy were as convenient I would still run it all the time! Even is the performance isnt quite the same it would still be worth getting to drive the thing IMO!

looks a lot more complex than just a motor swap... The engine has an external ignition module - how does that work? It is in the pod on the side - but how is it making the spark?

Also, the trans looks the same, but all new TVP's, motor mount, servo tray, front gas tank and mount, all new radio boxes, etc. If you look at this pic - http://www.hpieurope.com/graphics/news/nurn12/cars/ascgas3.jpg - there is also an external control module - I think that this is going to be a ton more complicated than you'd think.....

The electronics are probably very similar to what is in a Baja. You just have an ignition box. The baja's timing works from the flywheel. Not sure how these smaller ones work but they have been around for planes for a good while so I'm sure they've got it all figured out lol. Looks to me like all you need is the motor/electronics, fuel tank, batt/rx box, and T/B servo mounts. Oh and some different linkage for the servo. All that is gonna be cheap to do except the motor. Oh and don't forget the header as well! Current nitro ones won't work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Back