How to strip paint off your body thanks to BANKRUPTER

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcam54

First off I messed up the paint spraying "house of color" copper to green fade too thick and it bubbled. Then I sprayed metalic blue, silver, and yellow...much less to say it looked really bad. So I jumped on the shout box and low and behold someone was there to help out!

This is how I "fixed" this problem with @Bankrupter's advice.

NEEDS TO BE DONE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE TO NOT LET THE PAINT SET!!

You need to get brake fluid, heavy paper towels or rags, latex gloves, and to clean it all up simple green degreaser (1 part simple green, 2 parts water) or similar product.

NOTE: caution is needed not to get brake fluid in your eyes so use safety glasses and wash all overspill from your skin asap!

Pour a generous amount of brake fluid into the body (not too much to spill out of the sides when your scrubbing) and let sit for a minute or two, then start scrubbing. The brake fluid will start to release the paint and you will need to keep scrubbing and adding brake fluid as needed.

This will take some time so don't get discouraged.

Once all of the paint has been removed spray the body with simple green and wipe out all of the brake fluid, I found that doing this step @ three times did the trick. I then rinsed it out with clean water and set aside to dry.

Here are some pics of the striped body.
paintmessup001.jpg

paintmessup003.jpg

paintmessup004.jpg

Note: the haze you see is the "House of color" stuff, it left a "film" that is almost like plastic this was not caused by the brake fluid--where the clear sections are is where I had my paint masks and removed them before using the brake fluid.

This was really good advice so I wanted to post it and give Bankrupter the credit he deserves.

Thanks bud for being there to cover my behind!!

I will update the pics when I reshoot the body during the week.

Dirty paper towels in the trash

paintmessup002.jpg

Cool NP bud!
Just a note: It will work on older paint as well but not as quick. Just let it stand and the paint will soften up. This is the only method I have found that does not turn the plastic white.

Again glad I could help you out! Body's are not cheep, brake fluid is...

well here is the body now that I reshot it...first I sprayed some more "house of color" copper to green flip, then parma metalic red, and finally floresent race orange. I tried to blend/fade the red and orange to get a fire/flame look...the only thing wrong is a few blotches of the blue that was left from the first paint mix up....see prior pics please. The original paint mask does show on the body createing a hidden paint (offshade) effect, beacuse I was unable to remove the "house of color" copper to green flip paint (refer to original post for explanation).

midtankbuildpics028.jpg

midtankbuildpics029.jpg

midtankbuildpics030.jpg

midtankbuildpics031.jpg

midtankbuildpics032.jpg

midtankbuildpics033.jpg

midtankbuildpics034.jpg

All in all I think it came out pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG you did not re-mask the windows you hack! lol paint them black thru the over spray shield/ mask. Or did you pull that too. Too shiney you pulled it doH.. cut them out for venting... Lol looks good bud. I kind of like the etching the other paint left. I hate when people spray the windows body color. But a sweet save none the less!

I got the desart rat too. I'm trying to decide what to do on it ....

Even easier way to strip the paint no matter how old it is. NON-Acetone Nail Polish Remover. It will not scar the plastic. Try it on an old body. breaks down the paint and wipe it out.

thanks for the tip john! I'm going to try this. want to re-shoot my ext body now that they caned the design

All of this stuff will work, to a point. The problems are the odors, which are dangerous to your health and they can be a possible fire hazard. It never (or not that I've seen) gets everything off, and I've even seen it destroy thin bodies. I know bodies aren't cheap, but it just isn't worth the time, the mess, or your health. Learn from the experience and buy another body. Otherwise, mount it, and bash it to death!:artist::)

Reactions: cse

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back