(How to) replace steel gears in 2 speed with delrin gears.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m411b

OK, for those of you interested in replacing the steel gears in your 2 speed with delrin gears, this little tutorial should help you out a bit! I have looked and haven't seen this anywhere so I figured why not here! If you don't already have your delrin gears you can get them from here for a good price
All of these instructions can be found in your manual in the diagrams.
The delrin gears are a 1/3 the weight of the steel gears and noticeably changes the total weight of the tranny. Lets get started!

A pic of the tranny and delrin gears.
dsc0117p.jpg

Tools needed to complete the swap:
dsc0146vk.jpg

First we need to separate the top and bottom gear housing and pull the idler shaft out:
dsc0119h.jpg

Second we need to separate the 2 halves of the top housing so we can get to the drive shaft and drive gear. To do this we must remove the 3 screws holding the 2 halves together:
dsc0120p.jpg

Once you have the halves separated you can remove the drive shaft and gears. After they are removed you can then remove the small E-clip holding the drive gear onto the shaft:
dsc0121.jpg

After removing that e-clip you should have something like this:
dsc0123t.jpg

If you have all these parts sitting in front of you, you can now replace the drive gears with your new delrin gears and put everything back together in the reverse order:
dsc0126b.jpg

dsc0131y.jpg

Now that the top housing is complete we can move on to the meat and potatoes of your tranny. The idler shaft which has 1st and second gear on it:
dsc0127q.jpg

First start off by removing the bearings and the small e-clip holding everything together:
dsc0129u.jpg

dsc0130b.jpg

When that is complete you can start taking the gears off of the shaft and begin replacing gears as you go. Once you pull the drive gear off (which is the first gear you pull off), you can pull 1st gear off of the shaft. 1st gear is going to need some dis-assembly to replace with delrin. You are going to need a snap clip remover tool to get the OWB off of the old gear so you can put it on the new delrin gear:
dsc0132a.jpg

dsc0134o.jpg

Once you get the snap clip loose and off of 1st gear, the OWB will pop off of the old gear and you can then snap it in place on the new delrin gear:
dsc0135x.jpg

All you should have left on the idler shaft is second gear.
dsc0136c.jpg

I decided not to replace second gear because the new delrin gear has 37 teeth when the original gear has 39 teeth. Replacing the 39 tooth gear with the 37 tooth gear will give you a little shorter gear ration and less take off for second gear. Some of you may not care about that because it isn't much of a difference, but can make the difference depending what you plan on doing with your truck. Also, if you do plan on using the new delrin 2nd gear instead of the old gear, you are going to have to get a couple of shaft screws so that the clutch has posts to catch on.
Here is a pic of the two gears next to each other. You can see the holes where the shaft screws go:
dsc0138xwp.jpg

For those of you that do replace 2nd gear with the new delrin 37 tooth gear, you must remove the set screw in the clutch and then remove the shaft screw that is underneath the set screw from the clutch. Once you have removed these to screws, the clutch and second gear can be removed:
dsc0137pg.jpg

After you have replaced 2nd gear (if you do), you can go ahead and put 1st gear and the drive gear back onto the idler shaft and you are done with the idler shaft and gears:
dsc0139b.jpg

Now we have only one more gear to replace. The lower idler gear!
dsc0140w.jpg

To replace this gear you must first remove the 4 screws and separate the bottom 2 halves of the tranny:
dsc0141dg.jpg

Then you can take the bottom gear shaft out. Once out you have to remove the small clip holding the gear onto the shaft. The easiest way I can tell you to remove this clip is to put your thumb nail on one side and push on the other side with your small flat head screw driver:
dsc0142su.jpg

When you get that little clip off you will be able to slide the gear off and replace it with your new delrin idler gear and replace the small clip:
dsc0143o.jpg

then put the bottom tranny housing back together:
dsc0144o.jpg

Drop your idler shaft with 1st and 2nd gears back into the tranny and replace the top half of the tranny:
dsc0145b.jpg

And, success! You have now rebuilt your 2 speed with delrin gears and you should notice a big difference in weight.
dsc0147d.jpg

Now, make sure you spin all the gears before you put the top housing back on. If you feel restriction, you have something wrong! Take the idler shaft with 1st and 2nd gear out and inspect everything making sure that you put the bottom idler shaft in correctly. If everything looks OK, put the gears back in and spin them again. When I checked my work, my gears had restriction and I noticed that the rubber cap in the hole for the shift point adjustment was touching 1st gear. So I pulled the cap out and the gears spun freely. Then I replaced the cap making sure not to push it in so far that it touched 1st gear.

Thanks and I hope this helps someone or at least someone likes the pics!

I'm working on getting Picco P3 .28 and getting it modded by Robin. I think the gears will hold up. The slipper will help I think. This tranny isn't going in a basher as you know Pope and you are right it will be interesting to see what happens!

nice write up. lookin forward to seein how they hold up. id love to run a 2 speed in the flux so we'll see

Nice job on the write up. I am very interested in hearing how they hold up. May have to put this into one of my savys to reduce rotating mass. They may be a little smoother running as well due to being a tad more forgiving. Keep us informed.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back