How To Properly Shut Down A Nitro Engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ya he was talking about after run oil, put a few drops down the glow plug hole and a few in the carb after use... after run oil helps prevent any leftover fuel from gumming up and lubricates the engine for the next start!!

P.S.. keep in mind some nitro fuels have after run oil in them so you don't have to use it!!!
and if the guy you bought it off of used after run oil thats a pretty good indication of how well he took care of it,and the pics prove that,"looks almost new"

Last edited by a moderator:
ya he was talking about after run oil, put a few drops down the glow plug hole and a few in the carb after use... after run oil helps prevent any leftover fuel from gumming up and lubricates the engine for the next start!!

P.S.. keep in mind some nitro fuels have after run oil in them so you don't have to use it!!!
and if the guy you bought it off of used after run oil thats a pretty good indication of how well he took care of it,and the pics prove that,"looks almost new"
yeah looks good to me on pics still not arived trying to find out some info before it arrives loads to know by sounds of things!!!

Everyone at the track just plugs the exhaust with there finger. With out taking fuel lines off is this bad? Will it cause damage? I usually just end up out of gas. And the funs over =(

just pinch the fuel line and found till 3. if the engine turns off at 3 then your tuning is good...before 3 second is too lean and more than 3 is too rich......

It will vary slightly on every engine. And the only time you want to pinch the fuel line to shut it off is if you're having trouble tuning and you need a general idea where your lsn is at. It makes the engine run lean.

Lean = bad

I just use a piece of plastic rod and stop the flywheel from rotating.... works like a charm......

I've been doing it that way for years, and it always works just fine. It never floods on me.

Just because you have been lucky enough that it hasn't happened, does not take away the fact that that is what you are doing to your engine.

Can't force people to do things the right way, but sooner or later you'll learn.

I use basil wood shims on my flywheel, works great, no damage and I take my tunning screw driver and gently push my piston to BDC after a good run. And when I prime it , I take exhaust fuel line out and blow in it till fuel reaches the engine. 1-3 pulls cold it usually fires up :)

I marked my flywheel with a sharpie when my piston is all the way down, when I shut it off I just turn the flywheel until I see my mark.

Latest posts

Members online

Back