how to open bevel screws on diff case

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtbasher

hi guys,
i damaged the bevel on my savage. bought a new bevel to replace but i cant open the 4 screws for the bevel connected to the diff case. i hav tried spraying wd40. i hav tried forcing it, still wont unsrew. i understand ther is threadlock on those screws n its super tight. pls help anybody....

Last edited by a moderator:
+2 on heat.

just wondering how you can tell a bevel is trashed before you open the diff? bevel failure isnt very common

If you turn one wheel and it doesnt turn the other side or grinds/crunches as you turn, the internal bevels are trashed, if you put the brake on to isolate the front from the rear and stop the ring/pinion from turning then any turning force applied to any wheel should transfer to the opposite side via the bevels, unless your using a diff locker of course.

If you turn one wheel and it doesnt turn the other side or grinds/crunches as you turn, the internal bevels are trashed, if you put the brake on to isolate the front from the rear and stop the ring/pinion from turning then any turning force applied to any wheel should transfer to the opposite side via the bevels, unless your using a diff locker of course.

lol, I know how to tell, was just making sure our bro d.b. did.

also d.b., if you strip a screw head don't sweat it. you can drill out the head, take off the ring, then unscrew the shaft with vice-grips.

+2 on heat.

just wondering how you can tell a bevel is trashed before you open the diff? bevel failure isnt very common

i turn 1 side of the wheel manually n felt much freeplay n the wheel on the opposite side didnt turn the other way, heard grinding noises from the bulkhead too.

anyway, forgot to tell u guys this front bevel is on my savage flux n i think did too many backflips. they say this is common on the present flux. thats why all 2010 flux will get a bullet proof bevel, think some of u guys may heard this new bullet proof bevel. i'm thinking of getting it n also for my savage x. i recently damaged my savage x front bevel too after a hardcore bashing n now to my flux, n it happens only at the front bevel.
wat do u guys think bout this bullet proof bevel?

http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=102692

well my hairdryer didnt work. so i tried the oven 100F for 3 mins still cant open those screws. man this is the toughest to unscrew ever! is 100F to low or 3 mins to soon? :cry:
think i hav to go to a lhs, drilling is the next option i think.....

I use a touch and if you have a gas stove just use a burner ... Apply even heat..... Also just to say it caz some don't know you can let it cool b4 you pull them. The loctite will not reset as it cools.

I use a touch and if you have a gas stove just use a burner ... Apply even heat..... Also just to say it caz some don't know you can let it cool b4 you pull them. The loctite will not reset as it cools.

hi Bankrupter,
the oven didnt work so i use a mini blow torch wit the blue flame n it worked finally.
juz torch it for half a minute or a minute, move the flame up n down following the screw length,wait untill it cools down n use a long screwdriver to unscrew it, wat a freakin relief!

pls note that this does not apply to plastic diff case,only aluminum.(info for people who hav not open a diff case b4)

thx bud:loveford:

well my hairdryer didnt work. so i tried the oven 100F for 3 mins still cant open those screws. man this is the toughest to unscrew ever! is 100F to low or 3 mins to soon? :cry:
think i hav to go to a lhs, drilling is the next option i think.....

Another option for those who don't have a torch is a soldering iron.

A bevel screw wouldn't come out for me and stripped it.

A soldering iron heats the metals nicely (a litle safer than a heat gun).

I love the new Bulletproof gear set, been running mine for a few weeks now. Unfortunately, last weekend I did the same thing you did and lunched an internal bevel gear and a spider gear. Makes me wonder when someone is going to cash in by doing machined hardened steel internals...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back