How To Make Battery Packs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluxinator

I have seen this question all too many times in the chat box and helped numerous people with this. Today I had some spare time and I decided to make a tutorial on how to make battery packs.
IMG_0002.jpg

The items you will need:
1) Soldering iron
2) Batteries
3) Solder
4) Some wires
5) A male jack for the radio
6) Sand paper
7) Electricians tape or some shrink tubing
8) Soldering skills
9) Time

If you have these things lets continue on to the next step

Step one
Sand off the ports of all of you’re batteries. This removes a layer of oxidation and allows the solder to stick on and makes you’re job lot easier
IMG_0004.jpg

Step two
Add some solder to the ports of all you’re batteries
IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

Step three
Using some connective media (can be wire or any connective substance) attach the + terminal of one battery to the – terminal of another. For my pack I’m using this lay out OO
OOO

The first two batts.

IMG_0013-1.jpg

IMG_0014-1.jpg

Third Batt
IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

Fourth one
IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Then the Fifth
IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

When you have successfully soldered all the terminals you can attach the jack. The + goes to red cable and the – goes to black cable
IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032-1.jpg

Then all you have to do is wrap it in elections tape or use a large shrink tube to make a casing for it

IMG_0036-1.jpg

IMG_0039-1.jpg

And you are DONEEEEEE
Have Fun Bashing It

Last edited by a moderator:
nice tutorial sudi. but i have one suggestion instead of pretinning the batts pretin the wire. keeps the heat you put to the battery to a minimum less chance of damage to the cell.

where can i find the pigtail and how were the batteries setup? pigtail to which batteries. i am capable of doing this just not sure of how you had the pigtail soldered onto which battery.

can you just use regular aa batteries? i know not rechargeable. if i was to get rechargeable aa batts can you recharge using the same plug type as the roto start battery charger?

started making my own tonight. ran out of solder. doh, will be continued tomorrow. i did find out one thing tho make sure you're hooking up the right battery with the correct polarity, i didn't realize it and when i started to solder one of the wires i was actually shorting out the other battery. i will try and finish it up tomorrow with some fresh batteries

omg got the pack done today and wow huge difference. i actually have brakes now. in fact almost too much, at slow speed the truck does a stoppy lol.

I'm planning on making a few packs my self here soon. I just ordered 12 Sanyo Eneloop NiMH 2000mah rechargeable batteries. These are suppose to be great batteries with very low self discharge rate. Though I wish they had a higher Mah I was happy to find out they had a 1500x charge cycle life and with the low discharge rate they should actually last longer than a higher mah with a higher self discharge rate. My biggest concern right now is not overheating the cell when I solder the leads and connecters on. I also didnt notice until after I bought these that they are 1.2v compared to dry cell AA's that are 1.5v :( this means I need to add one more battery9Now 5 instead of 4) to my receiver pack to make it a 6v pack (I hope they fit). I plan on using deans micro plugs for the leads and wrapping in shrink wrap. Ive also been looking at purchasing the sky LiPo charger which will handle up to 18 cell NiMH packs. its costly upfront to get things setup but i think in the long run I will save money and the hassle of buying new AA's all the time, not to mention saving the environment lol. :jamout:

I have over 20 of these batteries for my transmitters, and here in Norway they cost almost 100$ for 4pcs!!!! But they are wery good. Wouldnt destroy them for making a rx pack i could buy for 40$ :)
But nice tip ;)

Sent from my Ipad

Latest posts

Members online

Back