How-to: Make artificial brake rotors/calipers: Savage

Would you purchase a set of these if they were made?

• Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampDawg

After making a set for the Sprint2 a member pushed and shoved me like a bully to do something about it for a Savage (no names will be given to protect myself from harms way....LoL)

First, we will be using HPI steel discs and calipers at all 4 wheels. Now....if a company would make these I'm sure they'd be a hit. If a company made them work and stop the truck...Priceless!! ehheeh!!

189698_204126666283037_100000571166430_730599_6739186_n.jpg

200460_204128576282846_100000571166430_730604_1511857_n.jpg

*disclaimer*
if any company choses to make this product, i want a piece of this humble pie*******

man i always wondered what it would be like to have disk brakes at the wheels, would stop on a dime I'm sure and with the radio's with ABS this setup would work alot better I'm thinking............awsome work my friend!!! repped ya!!!! and it should be possible because I'm almost positive theres other rc's that have it!!!

thinking on this DIY.....

Caliper brackets - mounted to knuckles using steel 16g or better

Hex - would need a ridge so the rotor didnt fall into the hex-pin.

Calipers - If this were to be functioning a piston of some sort would need to be fabricated. I seen a 1/5th scale touring car RC years ago that used brakes at all four corners.

Ideas to stop the truck??
cable assisted?
piano wire to servo?

many variables to consider to make this work but i think it can be done somehow?

I think you would need standoffs, I mean, how deep does the hex sit in the wheel ?

I looked inside the wheel after it was mounted on Angry Hornet and there's very little (not enough) hex exposed to mount a caliper.

if the hex had a ridge for the rotor to stay onto, and making the hex longer to make up for any difference......
means only a slight wheelbase change for the better anyhow

Okay, I can see that ... Actually, I can conceive of a mounting system for that. If I knew squat about Cad/Cam, I could draft out a system to lock the brake disc in place.

What about the hard points for the pads ? Backs would be easy since those wheels don't turn, the fronts are the challenge.

front and back caliper brackets would be exactly the same, off the knuckles. They would remain stationary off them and turning wouldnt pose an issue. But as you..... myself, i cant draft worth squat nor do i have cnc!

hmm now you guys have me thinking i cant draw worth poop but i have a good imagination and some power tools to go with it .

both myself and tarnish feel this can be accomplished using the same concept as that from a bicycle (cantilever system??) somehow/someway.
I'm confident it can be done but for someone to make it is another ball game.

Swamp - Nice thread you have going. If all this comes to play I'll buy a set for the shelf truck, just to give it that Unique look

if someone made a functioning set of brakes for the savage that would rawk the world of savage! :D

we will see how that plays out but i have the kids for the weekend so ill wait til monday before i start the mod for the simulated rotros/calipers k

:jamout:

note to admin/mods:

i am not trying to sell anything in this thread!
it is mearly for interest in this if someone were to make these for our Savage trucks

well I'm sure there is far better then what i came up with, so if anyone has any ideas to make this bracket then pipe up and say it.

:NLMD:

note to admin/mods:

i am not trying to sell anything in this thread!
it is mearly for interest in this if someone were to make these for our Savage trucks

I'm here to help you promote an IDEA. It all starts somewhere. I dogged you kinda hard in the shoutbox the other day about not having a thread sharing an Idea with everyone, and now look. I choose simulated only for the reason of just having something different. You can pull off this functional kit that would be off the hook. The cost won't cheap either.

Bottom Line the site and members are here to support an Idea just don't forget about the site like someone already has done.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
one of the few things that has ALWAYS bothered me about the design of this Savage were these crappy brakes off the Transmission. Either you did the ofna mod to help it out or left it as was using HPI dual disc, Ti brakes, etc which still all ended up the same crappy design in the end using a different result on it. Boooo!! :stickspank: Cuz no matter what you did to your brakes now....STILL uses that pos lever off the transmission which is weak and/or no matter what rotor or pads you used got slpped in nitro/oil....end result....a truck that hardly stops at all! :duh:

install brake rotors/calipers at the wheels....they stay dry and stop a heavy nitro doin 45+

:pnclsmilie:

if it were just the "simulated" brakes a guy was after then all that would need to be made CNC i think would be new hex's with a ridge on them so the rotor didnt fall back into the driveshaft and a bracket for the caliper to mount onto.

if it were a "functioning" kit then you would need the above said, aswel as some sort of cantilver caliper set up, cables, hardware, etc.

Another way i thought was to CNC new carriers as shown adding in the mount for the calipers to screw into?

198209_204513069577730_100000571166430_734424_59190_n.jpg

This was why I mentioned wanting to learn TIG welding earlier today. Get a sheet of aluminum, lay down beads in strips of "dimes" and build a lug, then grind it to the shape of a new carrier.

Basically, instead of starting with a solid block of aluminum and machining it out, I'd start with a flat piece and build it up in the right areas, then just grind down the excess.

makes you think though?
why hasn't someone done this already?

- Not enough interest in this piece?

- R&D?

- Price to develop it Vs price to sell it? (may be to expensive to put out?)

- Not thought out or thought of? which I'm sure many have before?

i thought for sure however, that this poll/thread would have peeps all over it like flies on poop

It's kind of a critical part as well, it's a LOT riding on the test run of a custom one off. Get it wrong and it's runaway city.

They have probably done plenty of testing to make sure the calipers are well made, hence the higher price.

keep the trans brake on whilst doing test runs on new brake system? :slapped: lol

we need an army of members to start showing interest in a set for the savage on all 4 wheels. :buttshake:

i need a coffee
:nicks:
:crazy:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back