How to fix half tank lean cheep. NO MODS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pope

Okay here is a fast simple way to fix the half tank lean issue on your savage. What ever people want to say causes it doesn't matter it still is there and I believe HPI was aware of it from the word go but they knew how to fix it and most of us have overlooked it.

Here is what you need:
about a foot of fresh fuel line and 2 min.

Here is what you do:
Run your fuel line from the tank out through the middle of the shock tower and back around between the top of the shock tower and the body mount than down to the carb. Cut it to lenght and you are done problem solved.

How it works:
As fuel runs down the fuel line to the carb it causes a syphon that will suck fuel up from the tank so that the pressure in the tank doesn't matter and when the level of the fuel drops below the level of the carb the motor doesn't have to suck the fuel up and out of the tank. The fuel will be gravity feed.

yeah i had did this last weekend when i picked up my tank.. very effective. I thought i had read it on here somewhere already! Godo post pope.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The Pope NJ again.

Ive done this but it only worked on the low buck mills. My LRP would not stop no matter what I did but tune it fat. Rossi too. I would never in a million years try a stock thing on my drag picco

This is for those with stock stuff with a low budget. I myself have a mid tank mod for that exact reason.

I have to say I tried this and I had no luck with my Axial .28 spec1. This was before I did the mid-tank. My dad still has his stock tank setup and I did this with his too....no luck. I have heard some people say it works though.

I have seen mixed results from every so-called HTL fix out there. Some get them to work while others don't. I run my fuel line around the rear body mount and don't seem to have much HTL. It still does it but not to the point of causing me any problems. My k5.9 runs 230-240's on a full tank and will get up to the 250's when almost empty. I tried the uniflow tank mod but it caused me very frustrating stalling/flame out issues, so I went back to stock length lines with a little extra length on the line to the carb. Works great now. I will probably do a mid-tank next but I wanted to get the 3PM first, which is awesome by BTW, and I want a Blitz too so I'm happy enough with the way it runs for now lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made this thread because I have gotten the question twice this week and figured I would put it in one linkable place. This is all just high school phisics

Once the fuel level in the tank drops below the fuel nipple on the carb, it is not gravity fed. You can't gravity feed a fluid from a lower level to a higher one, it goes against all the rules lol.

As long as the down hill run is equel to or greater than the up hill it doesn't matter the hight of either the source or end point.

Now I am not saying that this is a complete fix the down hill is still shorter than the up hill but it will help for those without the budget to do a mid tank mod.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey Pope, could you snap a quick pic of where the fuel line is going thru. . . I think mine is like you said but I could be misreading.

Yea, old fix. Its called a header tank. They are a PITA to fill. Other than that they work. Just an overcomplicated way to fix the problem.

You can't gravity feed a fluid from a lower level to a higher one, it goes against all the rules lol.

yep. try siphoning gas out your 1:1 with the container higher than the fuel tank. then try with the container on the ground (lower than tank).

or notice where the fuel tank on your mower or snow thrower is in relation to the carb (no fuel pump) vs. your 1:1 car.

not sayin it dint work on a low $$ mill, i just cant understand how or why it did.

:dark:

amazing I thought I was only over thinking when I have run into this issue with my savvy first I thought it was the tank so I replaced it with a 25 tank and it kinda helped but figured for the most part it was rookie tuning lol.

Post pics of how you did this mod...because if I am not mistaken and you say that HPI is aware of this lean condition, then I would say they have taken steps to fix the issue as my stock savage has come set up the way you mentioned it should be done to fix the problem.

Anybody used a 'SavFlow' ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14KAYbyMY0E

Not sure how well it works,ive looked all over the net but cant find any info about them.

Edit:Found this-http://cgi.ebay.fr/SAVFLOW-FUEL-FLO...9QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SILF:FR:105

i never seen this but looks cool.. but a pain..... the one thing in the video that bugs me i see it all the time ,... the guy haas enough know how to do that tank set up... but then runs his tires backwords ..se it so many times its just a pet peeve of mine ..lol... don't they understand how tread paterns work and why they v patern faces forword? ever see a tractor running its tires backwords? with the tire backwords it forces the dirt into the center of the tire . making it ride on a ridge of dirt .. rather than pushing the dirt outwords giving it a beter foot print thats actually contacting the ground .. just one them pet peeves .. got the smarts to do great mods ect .. but cant see how tires work lol crazy

The way I fixed my HTL issue was I took the pipe off and drilled the nipple bigger to the same inside diameter as the fuel line, and I drilled the tank vent line also. then lean out the high speed needle and richen out the low speed needle.

stock my truck was giving lean symptoms only on the low end of the powerband. after leaning out the top and richening the bottom she runs great

This mod was free so i figured it could help some other people out also.

hows this work exactly? i still don't understand whats causes the mtl. crap. i thought it was the shelf in the tank... then i thought it was the shape of the tank cause the bottom parts smaller than the top part and as fuel gets used the air gets bigger ect.. then i heard if the tanks higher than the carb ... I'm no noob by any means but this is one them things we know how to fix .. but i still not satisfied with whats causing it exactly.. i think its air to fuel ratio changing in the tank as the fuel gets consumed .. but not sure..

the way I understand it is that the exhaust coming from the motor has to pressurize the fuel tank to push the fuel into the carb, giving the carb a steady fuel supply. once the tank gets lower, the backpressure is reduced because of less fuel. thus not supplying enough fuel to the carb.

yeah I removed the fuel line and found a drill bit the same size as the inside diameter (cant remember size) and drilled out the pipe and tank. cleared it up.

my lean issue was off idle. I'm not sure what other peoples lean problem was.

after everything was drilled and back in place i leaned the high speed and richened the low speed. now it runs consistent from start to finish.

nice .... definately going to try it .. mine was on the low side to... to get a crisp throtle it would always run lean on low side .. but i had others that was on the high side.. no mater how i adjusted it it would run lean to just get the power out of it .. had a few that were tollerable from begining to end .. not perfect by all means but tollerable .. thx for the tip going to do it n see what happens ..

no problem, just make sure no plastic falls in the tank. i use an air compressor to blow everything out. if the fuel pickup filter gets clogged you problem will get worse.

the nice part about the tank, is that you only have to drill the outside nipple. the inside of the lid is already drilled bigger.

I know this has been debated to the limits of understandability, but I found the cheapest/easiest fix is to make the fuel line as short as the pipe pressure line. Keeping them as short and equal in length as possible. This is not exclusive to the Savage...

Latest posts

Members online

Back