How to: Clutch Shoe Removal Tool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crzy-svg-usr

Sir-Smokes-Alot
Ok some companies have come out with a product that aid in taking off and putting on clutch shoes. Instead of using a screw driver and slipping and hitting yourself or damaging the shoes with those high rate springs you can just make a tool for the cost of about 5 cents

You will need a long bolt or steel rod, the diameter is about 1/2 I am pretty sure it’s been a while since I made the tool but if you line up a bolt on the clutch you will see

You will need to drill a hole in the end of the bolt and then cut the rest with a cutoff wheel so it looks like this:

Picture012.jpg

Picture001-2.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture004-2.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Now to use it just put it onto the crank and slide it between the shoes and the flywheel nut. Then turn it counter clockwise so the little nub slides under the spring and pulls it out of the groove. Now you can put a tiny flathead screwdriver under the shoe or use you’re finger, whatever you like and slide the shoe up.

Picture007.jpg

Picture009-2.jpg

There is no need for it really to put shoes on unless you are to the last shoe then sometimes I use it depending on spring rate.

If I wasn’t precise on something just ask, it’s been a good 3 or 4 years since i have made this thing so I might have missed some things in the description.

Also I heat treated the end, I noticed the bolt I used was too soft and the nub bent sometimes, so I heated it to red hot and dunked it in water making the metal very hard and brittle, no more bending.

Dude, you should have posted that a while back, man that is a hell of an idea. I had real fun once when I had my shoes off when I did the p&p and trying to put them back on was even more fun, I will most defenitly keep this in my head for next time.

Let me think on this. For now all Sticky threads are at the top of each forum prior to the newest thread. Ex. what your saying is like this thread is in the Members project but could be used in the Engine Forum for easy reference

Not in the engine forum though its a good place for it but a home mod forum where if somebody found a mod or something to do work with that made it easier it could be located instead of haveing to go to the engine forum to find it again, I know I will forget where its at and will have to hunt it down.

With the price of this hobby, any little savings or a way to do things homemade rocks.

Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Back