how to break in my savage 3.5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punto_gt_boi

sort of new to doing things the right way, use to buy crap and rag them so want to do this one right, any tips or anything i should take in before i break my truck lol any help would be amazing

there are a few ways to do this. i followed the HPI method in the manual for the most part. my LHS recommended a different approach. i got anxious by the 6th or 7th tank which is more than HPI instructs
here is what the manual says

1.After the engine starts let it run with the wheels off the ground for one tank of fuel.

2.after the first tank drive the car in a circle at half throttle for two tanks of fuel.

i extended that by first doing bursts of 1/2 throttle for a tank then steady half for a tank and like wise with three quater. followed by full throttle bursts.

not saying what i did was the best. it was only my first nitro so there could be a better way

Notin special bud. Just go by the manufacturers specs. Enjoy!

Like he said have the wheels off the ground and please don't run it empty creating a lean hot condition. Leave 1/4" left in bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for that, if you didnt say that i would have run it dry lol what i would do with out you lot lol, so it is safe to follow the guid in manual then? and what will hapen if i muck it up??

I'm don't know what all can happen if you run it dry but I do know that I tend to toast a glow plug when I forget and run mine dry.

If you don't run it dry you will make it threw breaking on the stock GP but it is recommended to replace it once you are threw the most part of breaking and getting close to a good tune. The break-in on the engine plays a toll on the GP. The tend not to be to great once threw with the break-in process.

Yes just follow the Manual for the engine or the truck manual if its the stock engine.

If you don't follow them exactly don't worry. The longer you break it in the better to a certain point. But follow them fairly closely they give a good enough process. Some people will go much further but it is not needed unless you are working with a motor that is worth $400 or something stupid.

Good luck.

is there anything else i should look into changing after break in that would have taken a beating going thro break in??

Latest posts

Members online

Back