How to: assemble and shim your diffs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks guys, yea thought they would help alot of people.

Dude, these videos are really helpful. I have spent ages reading through all the posts on diff shiming and trying to figure out exactly where I'm supposed to put the shims. Jeremy's stuff is great and explained it well if you know what you are doing but your videos made it crystal clear for this noob!

Cheers mate. :resp:

haha thanks man, thats why i made them pictures are one thing but a video is just that much better.

great vids
I just got a new savage rtr and want to put oil in the diffs. should I shim them while they are out?

thanks,one question though
with the shim you placed on the input bearing race(outside the diff houseing)wouldnt that tend to force the dogbone back toward the tranny and put stress there.is it able to be put inside the diff houseing instead?

it would but its not much, also there are o rings in your pinion and brake cup, remove one and you would be fine. i wouldn't even think you would have to do that in the first place.

Sorry to call you out but this info is wrong..

Bad on the 2nd vid I see the pinion is not set to depth b4 you shim the diff. If the pinion is not set first and the diff shimmed to it its not right bud... That's what shimming is about not just taking out the play. Its fix locating the pinion in the bulk and setting the ring to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
that diff didnt need anything on the pinion or it would just bind.
i like to shim the diff assembly for side to side play first shim (ring side) then i shim the pinion to the assembly. IF it binds or seems really tight no matter what amount of shims i use, then i know the assembly is off, i then take one shim out from the pinion side and put it on the cup side and see if it gets better. i do this as many times as it takes.
my process is different then others and may take a little more time but its the same concept and does the exact same thing. its hard to show on vid of EXACTLY what i do if i did i would end up witha 20 min vid that noone would watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see what your saying but if you shim the diff first there is no way to do the pinion correctly. Not so much in a X diff but on the cens you do it is a big deal. It took a bit of math and calipers to set mine to .005 and get the pics I gave you to make the shims. when you started doing them for people. That was not "feel" it was all math. Pinions only seat right on the ring in one position. Its not a range and they "feel" right over a range and not just in that one spot. Most X diffs do seat right with the pinion all the way in. But again that is "most" not all. End result its most likely right. But this method is right by chance and not exact.

Like I said I was not going to post in this but I was asked to to correct the fact that as the vids show results will vary and not always be correct. I did so reluctantly as we are friends and do bash together. I was asked to put the forum first and I hope your not upset with me bud. Maybe make a short 3rd vid showing the position of the pinion in relation to the ring so new guys know if its all right in the end. That will take any chance of the wrong out come from happening and it all wont matter.

95% of people that are shimming there diffs do not use nor have calipers so therefore they are doing it by the "feel" method. this is the method i use and the only way i know how to do them since i do not have calipers like the 95% that don't. like i said there are MANY ways of doing it some will say mine is wrong or its right at the end of the day you still end up with something 100% better over a non shimmed stock diff.
if someone would like to take the time to do a vid on how to do them with calipers it would be great..... otherwise the "feel" method is all there really is.

ive done somewhere near 30 sets of diffs, noone has complained to me one bit about them. the only ones to actually break a pinion are those with flux's and doing the 6s backflips and what not so its expected.

but if you do the diff first you can get the pinion set right. like i said i do the diff first, then the pinion. imo you have to do the diff first otherwise you don't know where to put the pinion in relation to the ring to get the mesh right.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back