how tight are you guys setting your spur gear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

hi guys i got a savage x and i know theres tons of posts about this already but i wanted to get your guys input in 2021, so how tight are u setting the spur gear. i think hpi says tight and then 1/2 back off and then i know some people say as tight as it can go (just don't give throttle when landing a jump)

i think i just set it to as tight as it can go and 1/4 turn loosened so its still pretty tight

whats the consensus? if it makes a difference ill be driving in grass from now on and i don't want it to wheelie if possible

thx!

I run an 47 plastic spur and 20 T pinion tightend all the way down and loosed an 1/4 turn. I prefer an plastic spur versus a steel one so I have so give for the tranny gears works perfect for my setup this is for brushless. Nitro same thing but sometimes a 1/2 turn on the slipper clutch.

Last edited:
Try it and see what difference it makes, it will vary as everyones' tight will be different.

thanks for the reply! i think since its grass i should be a bit looser so i might do half a turn loose. i however heard that even a tiny bit of loose results in it comes completely loose for some people.
does that mean i should loctite it?

The nut should be a lock nut / nyloc so no need for loctite. More slippage = more heat. It shouldnt come loose and the washer behind the nut should have a hex inner diameter to mate with the shaft.

Latest posts

Members online

Back