How the HECK do you keep the body looking good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mexxan

Man o man, It looks like it's easily gonna be a body a month - lol.
Just don't know how to keep it looking fresh - I know it's inevitable that a body gets wrecked but I'm just chewing em up doing very light bashing and speed runs. How do you keep yours looking good? I think the only way is one for bash and one for display - or is their some super thick polycarb shell out there that's super durable?

When I first saw the Flux i thought the stock body / paint job was ok - now I love it, but I can't keep it looking good.

when I do run one I keep it as low as possible also trim it so corners cant contact the ground in a wheelie or cart wheel But I don't bash with a lid on ever..

tpi got it man get two bodies one to bash one for display. I don't see any need for it my self I like to display mine with 20 plus feet of air under it.

Rofl! - thats a great response Pope. I'll def work on that Bankrupter.

I came across a Hardshell Fibreglass Flux Bodyshell here on Ebay which looks like serious business, but it's in white! Damn shame.

It's got me thinking - wonder if their is anyway I can get a stock Flux body and re enforce it with some kinda fibre coating from the inside after putting a fw protective layers on first to protect the paintjob. hmmmm..........

me personally for the cost of a body i just bash the hell out of it and then go buy another one having saic that i have three bodies i use to bash with

Just don't know how to keep it looking fresh
You don't. Maybe one problem is HPI makes much flimsier bodies than Pro-Line. Pro-Line bodies are thicker and much more durable.

Yeah, I keep a body for show and a body for bashing/racing. Plus like Bank, I usually run without a body while out just goofing off. Pro-line does make heavier duty bodies. I have flipped my Pro-line Suburban across a parking lot on the lid and barely even scratched it up. Also, Parma makes a spray on wax that kinda helps make the bodies look a bit better after bashing.

Upper Skid Plate ;-)

Pope..great line..

Here's what I did with my stock body to help lessen the roof wear from those 30+ feet parking lot roof slides :crazy:
I already skid two holes on the rear end corners so I'll add a strip there also.

What is this stuff?
I like several others on this thread am a Computer person. I currently work in a very large server farm. The material is same as black plastic blanking panels for closing open space for air flow in server cabinets.

These came in and no-one knew what they were for (don't fit in any standard cabinet we have so they were throwing it out). I took some home and gorilla glued it to the roof with double stick carpet tape on roof first because the Gorilla don't bond well to the slick car surface. So far it's held well.
It is about 1.2 mil thick and super tough...I think the rest of this lid will fall apart before I skid through the roof.

If I get any more and there's interest, I'd be glad to mail some (on me) to the helpful people on this great forum.

i was thinking of Rhino linner on the inside, it would help it from cracking but would not prevent scratches..

not shure what dynamat is but let us know how it works

It's asphalt sheeting with a sticky backing. You slap it on the inside of your car's trunk to calm down the boom and vibration from big subs, or under the carpet on the floor to kill road noise.
Great stuff, but it will add a lot of weight without strengthening the body much. Rhino Liner is a polyurethane spray that hardens up about as harder as the bumper covers on a 1:1 car. It'll add a lot of strength, but I'm not sure how well it would bond to lexan.

If you want a body that will last a while, take a look at the Proline Baja Bug. it's about the thickest lexan body I've come across.

Ithink the only way to keep a body looking nice is to take a picture of it after it is mounted on the truck....hang the picture on the wall in your hobby shop and go out and bash it to oblivion!!!!i tried the display bodies but they look to darn good to just sit on a shelf they need the same lovin the truck gets.....if it ain't in the air it's tumblin across the ground!!

(useful information removed)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lids are disposable. Bash them and replace them.

I like other have bashing bodies and show bodies.

Word, I would rather have a $30 body take the brute punishment of crashes then the rest of my truck. Besides, I didn't buy a Flux to be a shelf queen which is about the only other way to keep bodies spotless

i got one for display and one for bashing. My 3 yr old hates it when i run it without the body so i went out and bought one, quick & crazy paint job and he loves it and i don't care if it's trashed.

yea i used to go through a body about every couple of months until i just bashed withought it on the truck. i only run the body on the truck when i am at a racing event. also the prepainted hpi bodies are thinner than the unpainted bodies, but if you want a good durable body pro-line is the way to go

Yikes! Been gone for a while working on my new/used 5t. Back on the Flux now though. Well, I have had a wake up call - a new lid on a 5t costs around £150! Don't think I'll moan again at having to buy a new Flux body. Gonna look at the Prolines - would be great if they did a stocker on 0.60

Anyone know if all the Prolines fit the Savage Flux? Some bodies have savage and others LST/Cen - are the Savage versions a little too small for the Flux?

The only way to keep a lid lookin good is ( in my oppinion ) is to buy it, take it home, leave it on the shelf forever! If I it were me No need for a lid unless your racin or showin. If youre bashin deffintly not goin to last one session!I say go out and fun. The quicker you distroy a lid the better the fun!

I'm with bank.
I never bash with my lid on. Keep the lid on when i put it on the shelf.

Plus when you run with out a body you get better air flow, but thats for nitro guys, so BL i dunno =D

get proline bodies for strength.. they are alot more durable than any stock lid ever is ... paint it with a high quality lexan paint .. spazstix or parma fascolor.they don't chip n flake from impact.theyll get scratches they all do ... but if the paints good atleast it still has its color on it .... then you can use car polish to make it shine again even some the minor scratches will be hard to see from a distance when polished up ..i have alot of lids n trucks i beat on most of them and cant even tell ive abused them from a distance... get some cat like reflexes and land her on all fours ... other than that . no way to keep them new ... they are made to get abused so the truck don't ...happy bashin guys...

Latest posts

Members online

Back